+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tube Flys ?

Default Tube Flys ?

I found a great book in the library: Joseph Bate's "Bucktails and Streamers" (1979). This book has a great history of fly fishing, some really great old patterns, and some wonderfully sage advice on fishing.

In the book, he talks about tube flys. I did a search on the web and the one's that I found did not resemble the one's he talks about in the book.

The tube flys in this book consist of a piece of monofilament attached to a treble hook. There are two tubes on the monafilament and he explains the history and talks about using surgical tubing and metal tubes. On each tube, is tied various forms of hackle, bucktail, etc.

I find this interesting and wonder if anyone ties or uses flys such as this. This seems like it would have great action in the water since the tubes are independent and would give some great movement.

I know that small plastic tubes can be purchased in craft shops and might be good for this.

dc

------------------
    Many men go fishing all of their lives
    without knowing that it is not fish they
    are after.

Henry David Thoreau

The subject of tube flies has came up before and a search on FAOL will give you the information. I tie from bluegill to musky on tubes. I use the nut end of a bicycle spoke to hold the tube in the vise and hollow Q tips. Tubes also can be purchased in a model airplane store. The surgical tube holds the hook in the rear of the tube, when you hook a fish the hook pulls out and the fly goes up the line. Think of one hook and 25 flies in a box----

------------------

Bill

Thanks, Bill, but the one I saw in the Bate's book was different than the ones that I see on other web sites. The one I saw used a treble hook, some monofilament, and bucktail or other fur tied to a tube. There are two tubes on the mono that slide up and down and there is a loop in one end of the mono (sort of like the old eagle claw snelled hooks).

This contraption doesn't look like the one's I find on the web and I've looked at all the other posts here and on other sites.
    dc

My pike and musky tube flies are just like you mentioned a treble hook on a coated wire leader, going thru the tube with a loop to attach it to the leader. Some tube flies have material on the hook as well as on one or two tubes for a large jointed fly.
    The loop on mono or wire is used so that you can tie a improved clinch knot and easily change flies.
    I use double salmon fly hooks also as used in Iceland salmon tube flies.

------------------

Bill

Have you ever heard of anyone using this type of rig for on-shore saltwater? I have an idea that this may be effective on some of the bottom dwellers like flounder or blackfish.
    dc

------------------
    Many men go fishing all of their lives
    without knowing that it is not fish they
    are after.

Henry David Thoreau

I have had great results using tube flies for Largemouth Bass.

------------------
    "Catch 'em all ~ Put 'em back!"

Visit [url=http://warmwaterangler.outdoor-forums.net:4c6a6]Warmwater Angler[/url:4c6a6].

Here is a link to some tube flies that were created in the early to mid 60's when tinsel tubing first came out, up here anyway. They were developed by Dave Barry of Vancouver Island, not the same Dave Barry that is so well known. I would have posted the pics here but I have been away for awhile and darned if I can remember how.
    [url=http://www.reelflyfishing.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album90&id=Flashtails_00 2&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_ photo.php:5c891]http://www.reelflyfishing.com/modul es.php?set_albumName=album90&id=Flashtails_002&op= modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo .php[/url:5c891]

Here it is dissected:
    [url=http://reelflyfishing.com/albums/album90/Tube_fly_parts_002.thumb.jpg:5c891]http://reelflyfishing.com/albums/album90/Tube_fly_parts_002.thumb.jpg[/url:5c891]

They were marketed commercially under the name "Barry's Bucktails and Flashtails" and for quite a few years were a popular trolling fly, but while the larger ones were hard to cast and were mainly used behind a flasher, the smaller ones were castable and we used them in that way.
    Thought it might be of some interest...Kerry

[This message has been edited by Kerry (edited 18 October 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Kerry (edited 18 October 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread