+ Reply to Thread

Thread: April 21, 2024

Hybrid View

Default April 21, 2024

Didn't have a lot of time... got out fishing around mid-afternoon. Air temp upper 50's. Wind speed @ 15mph.Caught 7 fish, 6 species. Cool, but also was unable to string together successful patterns for anything. So, how good am I really? Most times, I just feel like I'm plucking the low-hanging fruits. ;o)I ended with 1 Common Carp, 1 Black Crappie, 1 Largemouth Bass, 2 Green Sunfish, 1 Eyetail Bowfin, and 1 Spotted Gar. I missed/lost a number of other gar and bowfin. I call it "charity". ok. Pics!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Next day, after work, I went looking for Orangespotted Sunfish. Did not see/catch any.Did catch some Green Sunfish, Bluegills, Hybrid Sunfish, a Black Crappie, and a Grass Carp. Had another Grass Carp on that broke my line. Also lost a gar.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Great photos Dave. Especially of the spotted gar. Nice variety of fish as usual. Dennis

Blog Entries

Default Gar teeth

With the mouth and teeth on those Gars, I am surprised any other species can survive in the same water.Great catch and photos, keep em coming.Larry ---sagefisher---

Thanks fellas! Gar have been around a REALLY long time. They aren't particularly fast or agile predators (except once hooked!), more of a sit-and-wait or slow ambush style... or easing up close to unsuspecting fish who maybe think they are just a stick. They will eat bugs and frogs off the surface, and will also eat dead fish off the bottom. Very interesting fish!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread