+ Reply to Thread

Thread: May 4, 2023

Hybrid View

Default May 4, 2023

Got out late, after work. Fish a place I have only fished once before. Hoped for Orangespotted Sunfish or something else interesting. Water flows were low, not as many fish around as I'd hoped. Caught a bunch of small bluegills, though. Saw a catfish of some sort, but it disappeared by the time I got into position. Saw a Freshwater Drum...thought it saw me as it turned away from shore. I had an unweighted white woolly bugger on, and dropped it down ahead of the fish's path, but it took too long to sink. Dropped it further aheah, and the fish saw it and swam over and ate it!Also had a strong fish on that fought really strange...thought maybe it was a turtle. Turned out I had foul-hooked a common carp in the dorsal fin. Managed to land it, somehow.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I am a little disappointed that you are snagging.

Rick
    Who has done it on crappie a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Z View Post
    I am a little disappointed that you are snagging. Rick Who has done it on crappie a few times.
    Right? Anyone that fishes much can't help from accidentally snagging a fish now and then. Not preferred, but it happens. We have a hook in the water, after all, either with or without a barb.Some folks buy gear to do it on purpose, but fly anglers would rather it not happen. I'm glad it wasn't a bigger carp, or I'd still be there trying to land it.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread