+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Frog Pattern I've been making

Hybrid View

Default Another Frog Pattern I've been making

I thought that I'd share another frog pattern that I've been making. I added Fly Lipps to this pattern so that it dives about 1-2" below the surface on the retrieve strip. The Living Legs frog Legs actually stretch back on the retrieve and retract when it stops giving it a very realistic action. I carve the body from 1/2" x 1/2" balsa wood dowel, color it with markers, add a coat of glittery fingernail polish, add the eyes and a final coat of two-part epoxy. Fun patterns to make and they are very effective when fished along weed lines, brush or the shore. https://gifyu.com/image/S7G8Q
    Last edited by James Smith; 03-16-2023 at 01:34 AM.

Now that is one nifty frog pattern Jim. Dennis

Thank you for the compliment. I started carving my own poppers from Balsa about six weeks ago and find it to be very fun and rewarding. This one works very well in the water and gets plenty of attention from the bass.

Thumbs up

I was going to suggest some improvements but there aren't any to be made. As nice a popper as I've seen especially when it has been hand carved.

Thank you for the kind words. I have found that carving poppers is really quite easy to do and does not really take a lot of time. Here's a series of photos that show the process. After making a couple of them, I found that I did not need the profile drawings taped to the sides of the balsa dowel. Feel free to PM me if you want step by step instructions to go with the photos. Here are the steps that go along with the photos. Here are the instructions that go with each step and please feel free to ask any questions you make have. 1) Draw a simple profile of the pattern you want to make and fold the paper in half so that when you cut it out you have two identical patterns.2) Then, I tape a profile to each side of a piece of 1/2" x 1/2" balsa dowel.3) I use a Xacto knife to cut out a rough profile.4) Then, I use a piece of 240 grit Abranet sanding cloth to smooth out the profile making sure to keep both sides symmetrical.5) Then, I use the Xacto knife to make grooves in the back for the eyes and the humps on the back of the frog.6) A bit more sanding smoothing off the edges and tapering the sides so it does not have a blocky look to it.7) Then I use a Xacto hand Mitre saw to cut the slot for the hook. It does not have to be exact as I widen the slot with the Xacto knife and Abranet sanding cloth to make it large enough to accommodate the hook with a diving bill tied on to it. You can see how wide the slot is now for the hook. Make sure that you dry-fit the hook to the body before trying to glue it in place.9) I use a Dremel with a flat circular bit to make eye sockets.10) I color both the thread and the body before gluing it in place because the CA glue seals the balsa making it not take the colored markers very well.11) I've glued the eyes in and it's ready for a coat of glittery nail polish. This step is not really necessary, but it gives the finished pattern a much nicer look.12) Once the nail polish is dry, it's ready for a coat of two-part epoxy and some time on the drying wheel.All that's left is to color the Living Frog Legs and tie them in place. I hope this helps out some of the other new popper makers. The total time invested is usually 45 minutes or so for each diving frog pattern. https://gifyu.com/image/S7X9j
    Last edited by James Smith; 03-16-2023 at 01:39 AM.

That looks great, James!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Default Living Legs??

Have looked at J. Stockard, The Fly Shop, Ole Florida, and FeatherCraft, and I can't find Living Legs anywhere. All I can find is Cohen's Frog Legs.Where did you buy the Living Legs?Thanks!
    I flyfish the salt because the voices in my head tell me to...

Caibill, The only dealers are in Europe but the shipping costs are not too bad at all. Here's the link to the dealer that covers the U.S. They do make a big difference in the look and action of the patterns as compared to using Cohen's legs. https://www.bigstreamers.com/frog-living-legs.html

Thanks for the reply. I have a bud going over next week to fish in Finland, and hope he can buy some for me.Thanks again!

Default Thanks for the Info

Thanks for the reply. I have a bud going over next week to fish in Finland, and hope he can buy some for me.Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread