+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Tying Tips

Default Fly Tying Tips

I thought I'd shre something a bit different for some of the newer members. I like to find ways to "simplify" my tying when I can. I am not a production tyer, so I don't keep my scissors looped on my finger at all times. I put them down when I'm tying in materials or applying adhesives. I have a habit of putting my scissors down wherever I find a spot, so I end up having to hunt for them when I need them. I decided to tape a magnet on the side of my vise base and always put them there when I'm done using them. I have another magnet on the other side of my base where I keep the scissors I use for cutting wire. This simple solution has made tying a bit more enjoyable, so I thought I share it here in case anyone else has a similar habit with their scissors.

The wire cutting scissors are used by Surgeon's to cut wire in the OR. I picked them up at a local Army Navy Surplus store for $2 around 20 years ago and have been using them ever since. You'll notice the small teeth in the serrated edge. These "capture" the wire and hold it in place for cutting. Absolutely the best scissors I've ever used for the light gauge wire I use when making dubbing brushes etc. I recommend that you stop by your local Military Surplus store to see if they have any. They should only cost about $2 and it is money well spent.
    a
    Just a few tips for the newer tyers.

Jim Smith
    Scissors.JPG
    Last edited by James Smith; 11-27-2022 at 05:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Good tips!

The usefulness of magnets are indescribable in almost any hobby or craft. I use them to secure unused hackle after stripping off what I am using. Small cylindrical magnets also are great for hanging scissors, hackle pliers, etc.

Smile

I wish scissors were the only problem I have. I also have a messy desk when tying. Materials everywhere as well. Between tools and materials, I frequently misplace some of the tools and forget where I put them. The only thing I don't misplace is the bobbin since it is hanging on the hook. Gotta do better. Thanks for the suggestion.
    God Bless America

Blog Entries

Thanks Jim. Good tip. The $2 scissors bought 20 years ago might be a bit more now? LOL!!

Another tip. When tying in small bead chain or dumbbell eyes make a loop around the center and then pull down on the hook where you want them placed.
    Rick

good tip rick, you also need to used this technique when tying in wings , bucktail, throats on flies , anything you want to stay in place and not rotate around the hook shank due to thread torque. since some one mentioned scissors , does any one know how to sharpen scissors. great tips guys

Default Tightline Videos

Thanks for the tips. I have found magnets to be invaluable especially when placing the unused portion of tying materials that will be used on the next fly being tied. I don't know how many times I've either accidentally blown away materials just by normal breathing alone or the inevitable need to sneeze. Tightlinevideos also are extremely helpful for quick tips. Keep those flies coming until you lose them (again).

My tip. As a very low output amateur at the art, I put out my best attempt from the last time at the bench. I organize the materials, turn on some good music and enjoy the process. Rules there are none, one fly may take me one hour or two days , Razor blades optional Tricks and tips all as mentioned in the proceeding posts with plenty of patience and practice. Really like the magnet idea..
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 01-29-2023 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Music tip for today - Led Zep's 'Kashmir'
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Default Magnetic strip

I came across a roll of magnetic 1 inch wide self adhesive stripping that has proven very useful. I put a 8 inch strip on the front of my tool caddy to hold extra hooks ,needles ,finished flies,etc. I have another just behind my vice for hooks primarily. They have been a part of my bench for over 30 years.

+ Reply to Thread