+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can u use Stealth Braid for backing...???

Default Can u use Stealth Braid for backing...???

I have a small 3wt reel and a 4wt reel. I only have 30lb backing but I have lots of braid. My 4wt reel took all the line and very little room left for any backing. The Stealth 25lb is so much thinner and smaller than my 30lb dacron backing. Will it work ok to use the Stealth for braid backing...? Same thing happened on my 3wt reel....and I even have 2 reels rated 1/2.....by Anglers Dream off Amazon. I know I don't need backing for panfish....but.....? Any help would be appreciated.
    jim

Technically...it would work. But.....
    20 lb dacron is what I use on my warmwater rods. I tried superline (braids) as backing once. Never again. Sure, trout or panfish may never give you cause to see your backing...but there is a chance a big bass, catfish or carp might... braided superlines will slice your fingers up if you try to put pressure on the line while they are running. Dangerous and painful. Not worth it, to me.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Thank you David.....good message......makes sense to me....glad to read the info. I shall skip it and figure out something else.
    jim

I may have some 20 pound Dacron backing laying around here somewhere. If your not in a hurry, if I have it, I can bring it on the 7th.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Is there that much difference between 20lb and 30lb? I was thinking about buying some 12lb....

+ Reply to Thread