+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Going back to New England

Default Going back to New England

The church we belonged to while I was stationed in New England is celebrating their 50th anniversary. So the bride and I thought it would be a good idea to go and celebrate with them. I will also be visiting my Fly Fishing/Tying mentor, most likely for the last time. John introduced me to fly fishing and tying by taking me to some of the most prolific ponds I have ever fished. I must have gone through 4 dozen foam rubber spiders in the first year or so. They are still my go-to fly when the Bluegills are hitting on the surface. I lost so many spiders in the trees, John said I should be a registered defoliant.

John is in his mid 80's and battling cancer on and off. I'll be 75 during the trip and have a number of ailments with which I am dealing.
    It is going to be a very bittersweet trip and I am looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.

Thank you for letting me ramble about something that is only somewhat related to fly fishing.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Let the good times roll. Have a safe and fun trip.

Rick

I have wanted to go fishing for smallmouth in Maine for years, it's one of a hand full of states I have not made it to. Hope you have a great trip.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

The trip was long and tiring but still worth it. John was too unstable on his legs to get out to bother the bluegills, but we had some good chats about days gone by.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill Budd View Post
    The trip was long and tiring but still worth it. John was too unstable on his legs to get out to bother the bluegills, but we had some good chats about days gone by.
    Glad to read that you 2 got together Clint. I am 75, my best fishing buddy is an 87 year old cancer survivor who still is active & able to fish. I treasure every trip with Jack as we have been friends for about 50 years. Those relationships are to be treasured.

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Bluegill Budd and Ohiotuber....enjoy your posts. I am sort of new to Maine.....been here a few years now but not always fishing. So not good at fishing here. I would like to know where you went fishing in Maine. I have discovered a fish here I never new about before.....living out west all my life. it is called a Pumpkin Seed. It is a panfish and appears to be quite a fighter. I shall be targeting them once my eye injury is over. I walked into something hard and immovable in the garage. Pretty serious harsh gouge into the right eye. Docs examined and say the double vision will probably go away. Could be a damaged nerve, a muscle stuck in a position, or swelling and inflammation. Interesting she did the keep head forward and follow my finger with your eyes. She moved right and left and up and down. I never thought of this technique much. She even told the wife to watch......when I look UP my left eye goes up but the right eye does not! Anywhoo I caught some awesome trout out west....but not having much luck fishing in Maine for trout or bass. I have not been a bass fisherman so a rookie at that effort. But 'tis what most of the waters near me have. Sorry for length of msg. jim

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
    Bluegill Budd and Ohiotuber....enjoy your posts. I am sort of new to Maine.....been here a few years now but not always fishing. So not good at fishing here. I would like to know where you went fishing in Maine. I have discovered a fish here I never new about before.....living out west all my life. it is called a Pumpkin Seed. It is a panfish and appears to be quite a fighter. I shall be targeting them once my eye injury is over. I walked into something hard and immovable in the garage. Pretty serious harsh gouge into the right eye. Docs examined and say the double vision will probably go away. Could be a damaged nerve, a muscle stuck in a position, or swelling and inflammation. Interesting she did the keep head forward and follow my finger with your eyes. She moved right and left and up and down. I never thought of this technique much. She even told the wife to watch......when I look UP my left eye goes up but the right eye does not! Anywhoo I caught some awesome trout out west....but not having much luck fishing in Maine for trout or bass. I have not been a bass fisherman so a rookie at that effort. But 'tis what most of the waters near me have. Sorry for length of msg. jim
    Jim, where are you in Maine? I'm kinda in the middle, near Bangor. Moved here from Washington State about 4 years ago. Still finding my way around. I've had good luck with Brookies in The West Branch of the Penobscot, East Outlet of the Kennebeck, and the Piscatiquis near Dover-Foxcroft. Water levels are dropping in the rivers and the temps are going up. The trout are heading for the lakes and deep holes while the smallmouth are moving into the rivers to forage. You can still catch bass in the ponds and lakes, look for lily pads and cast away. Feel free to PM me if you want.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Ron, I am near Belfast. I have not caught a trout yet here in Maine. You are doing well.
    jim

+ Reply to Thread