+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ok...now how muich battery to get for a 55lb trolling motor?

Default Ok...now how muich battery to get for a 55lb trolling motor?

Some website said get a minimum 105ah battery as a "minimum". Ok at 52a draw that would run about 2 hours at top speed. But man a 105a is so heavy.....
    Does anyone have an idea of how much Amp Hour battery to get just to go out for a few hours fishing? I would not be running at top speed. The internet says the amp draws listed are usually....or maybe it said always....these ratings are for running the motor at top max speed.....thus a 55lb drawing 52a at speed 5...the top speed....that is a lot. I have no intention of running at top speed for 2 hours. You think a 55ah would suffice?

I did at one time own a deep cycle battery, long gone, for my trolling motor which I gave to the guys I fish with who have boats. The guy I fish with carries two deep cycle batteries in his boat, in case he drains one. The other guys use one battery. It's heavy enough it usually takes two to carry it to and from the boat. I'll see if I can find out what type they use. Generally, we usually we fish between 4 and 6 hours. The trolling motors are 50 and/or 55 lb. We do run at full speed between spots when fishing and then anchor up or drift when we fish. The first thing we do when we get back to the house is put the batteries on the chargers. One thing that impacts how long the battery will last is weather conditions. One will last longer if you're dealing with calm or low wind conditions. If you're running into a wind with chop on the water you'll use up more of the battery. Let me see if I can find anything out for you.

One factor is how much trouble you will be in if your battery dies. We have run the battery dry on my brothers boat on a very small lake where we needed less than a half hour to paddle back to his dock. No problem. If you are in the middle of a big reservoir and a storm is coming it could be dangerous. Look at how much safety margin you need on the waters you'll be fishing.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

You can probably extend the battery's power with a solar charger in the boat. I haven't research how much you can gain, but they start in the mid $20 range.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I'll throw out another curve ball; lithium batteries. They are much lighter and last longer. They are smaller. And they will cost 3 to 5 times as much. I'm 70 yrs old and use the trolling motor 6 to 10 times a year. As a guess,, I figure to fish 10 more years. If I were younger, or fished more with the trolling motor, the bigger expense would definitely be worthwhile, especially at a 32 lb weight for 100 ampHR. Go to https://dakotalithium.com/product/da...motor-battery/ for all the details; I figure the purchase price per charge is less for lithium, and you get more juice per charge in a smaller package. But I probably won't use it enough to justify it ; but boy, 32 lb vs 70 lb is really nice wwhen dragging it over the beach to launch my pram (Portabote).

I appreciate all the feedback. Thank you one and all for the comments. I like your vaccination message Rainbowchaser. I agree.
    I'll have 3 modes of transportation on a 14' Starcraft aluminum boat. I have oars, the trolling motor...and a 9.9 Johnson outboard.
    I am 78 and didn't want to have to deal with a very heavy battery. Goes to show you....reading data not always the answer. I was mentally against anything over 55ah. But went to Hamilton Marine and they HAD a 105ah deep cycle battery and I found out I could handle it ok! So I have the battery now installed. It is under the front seat and in a Minn Kota battery box. Don't see a reason to be moving it a lot so I think I am ok with it. Sorta heavy but not too bad for me to put it into the boat. I have a battery charger on a rolling cart. So I can charge it still in the boat. I just float my boat off the trailer so no dragging it. Battery is pretty much permanent and fixed in place. uh....my point is "learn by doing" sort of. I meant reading all the data and academics of stuff is not always the best way to make a judgement about something. Go see it somewhere. Reading info about stuff is good....but real life experiencing it can be a game changer.

Anyway.....tks to all for the help. 'tis one of the things that makes this site so worthwhile.......

jim

+ Reply to Thread