Hendrickson Comparadun:
    Hook - Hook & Hackle #100 1x Long Dry Fly Size 12
    Thread - Uni 6/0 Tan
    Wing - Dark Dun Deer Hair
    Abdomen & Thorax - Fine & Dry Hendrickson Pink
    Tail - Moose Body Hair

Hendrickson Emerger MkII.jpg

Click to enlarge

Hendrickson Emerger (also can be fished as a wet fly)
    Hook - Mustad C53S Size 14
    Thread - Uni 6/0 Red
    Tail - Woodduck Flank
    Abdomen - Fine & Dry Hendrickson Pink
    Thorax - Pheasant After Shaft Feather
    Hackle - Whiting Brahma Hen Saddle Mottled Gray

Hope y'all enjoy! Happy fishing!
    Joe Bertolini

Outstanding flies Joe!! I intent to tie some like that as soon as I get back my tying room in MI. Hope you and others can come up this year.
    God Bless America

Always loved the Hendrickson hatch on the Au Sable in Michigan. That is where I met JC, on the South Branch at Canoe Harbor in 1964, and it was on the Main Stream at Keystone Landing where I first met the Ladyfisher in 1972. Now, all these years later I alone remain. Good memories and we hold on to them because, in at the end of the day they are all we have left.

The Chronicler

Thanks John & Neil! While I unfortunately never had the opportunity to meet either JC or Ladyfisher, I'm familiar with the areas you describe! The South Branch is one of my favorite areas on the Au Sable system and Keystone Landings not that far upstream from Johns place. When I'm up that way John's been kind enough to let us slip in to the river at his place. Hope to get there again in the not to distant future and I'd love to be there when the Hendricksons are coming off. These are planned for a trip I make every years to PA. Going a little earlier this year so felt the need to have a few of this early season pattern. It's also one of the first dry flies I learned to tie.

Thanks both of you for the shout out and Neil, love the site, really appreciate what you do to keep it going!
    Last edited by alra195; 04-12-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    Joe Bertolini

Hi Joe, Just curious, where do you fish in Central, PA? I'm in the area. I enjoyed the Hendrickson hatch just a few times.

Fish a lot of places. I grew up in Somerset County not far from Seven Springs on Laurel Mountain and still get home now and again to fish Laurel Hill Creek and Jones Mill Run. But I also like the Yough, Meadow Run, Beaver Creek, Indian Creek and Loyalhanna Creek in Fayette and Westmorland Counties. But, one of my favorite areas are the streams in Potter, Tioga and Lycoming Counties. I have some places in Bedford and Cambria I want to fish, just haven't got to them yet!

Been a lot of place in PA but there are still more streams than I can fish in a lifetime! I really think PA is one of the most under rated trout fishing destinations in the US. Great steelhead fishing in the Erie tribs, excellent native brook trout fishing in the mountain streams, super limestone and spring creeks in the south central part of the state and some great trophy areas scattered around various locations. As far as I'm concerned Pennsylvania has it all!
    Joe Bertolini

Joe, you and the other boys are always welcome. Matter of fact, I allow anyone with a fly rod to park and enter at my place if they ask.
    God Bless America

Thanks John! As always your kindness and hospitality are greatly appreciated!
    Joe Bertolini

Quote Originally Posted by alra195 View Post
    Fish a lot of places. I grew up in Somerset County not far from Seven Springs on Laurel Mountain and still get home now and again to fish Laurel Hill Creek and Jones Mill Run. But I also like the Yough, Meadow Run, Beaver Creek, Indian Creek and Loyalhanna Creek in Fayette and Westmorland Counties. But, one of my favorite areas are the streams in Potter, Tioga and Lycoming Counties. I have some places in Bedford and Cambria I want to fish, just haven't got to them yet!

Been a lot of place in PA but there are still more streams than I can fish in a lifetime! I really think PA is one of the most under rated trout fishing destinations in the US. Great steelhead fishing in the Erie tribs, excellent native brook trout fishing in the mountain streams, super limestone and spring creeks in the south central part of the state and some great trophy areas scattered around various locations. As far as I'm concerned Pennsylvania has it all!

Hey Joe, I fish Yellow Creek, The Little Juniata, and Spring Creek, mostly. I was at Laurel Hill on Saturday, but wasn't able to fish. I fished Meadow Run for the first time last year and enjoyed it. I also fish the Little Bald Eagle up near Milesburg. My uncle is a retired priest who lives in Somerset.

Yellow Creek is one of the streams on my short list to fish. I certainly know where Portage is. Next time I'm in to the area I'll send you a PM and see if fishing is a possibility!
    Joe Bertolini

+ Reply to Thread