+ Reply to Thread

Thread: North East PA - New to the area

Default North East PA - New to the area

Hi folks,

I recently bought a place in Pocono Lake, PA in Monroe county. Can you guys recommend rivers, streams or creeks to check out? The Susquehanna River is about an hour away. I have only seen it on a map. Not sure how fishable it is.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Hey Jim,
    Just to break the "silence" regarding your post information request , I checked Google Earth as to the locations of Pocono Lake in reference to MY experience in NE PA . I have fished and enjoyed immensely same at Hancock NY and State College PA. Obviously both of those are not real near the area of your concern so I cannot help you. I can, however, attest that the fishin was GREAT at "Fisherman's Paradise" near State College and at The Delaware River Club in PA just across the Delaware River from Hancock NY.
    Good Luck in waking someone here with more specific/targeted information for you.

Mark

Thanks Mark! Appreciate the response. I have fished in Hancock before. Mostly East of there in and around Roscoe. I am curious about State College PA. I read there are land locked Salmon nearby. Is that right? I would love to check that out.
    It's a bit far but would be fun.

Jim.
    It's been a whole bunch of years ago that I've been to State College so................ In fact, it was the FIRST or second Fish-In ever with about 10 of us attending.
    Good luck in your hunt.

Mark

PS: FIRST Fish-In may have been in Idaho on the Lochasa (sp) where Jeff (whatshisname) treated everyone's taste buds to his delicious steak recipe.
    Last edited by Marco; 03-06-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcotrel1 View Post
    Thanks Mark! Appreciate the response. I have fished in Hancock before. Mostly East of there in and around Roscoe. I am curious about State College PA. I read there are land locked Salmon nearby. Is that right? I would love to check that out.
    There are a lot of places to fish around State College, including Spring Creek, Big Fishing Creek near Lamar, Penns Creek, The Little Juniata, and others. I’ve never heard of any Landlocked Salmon in that area, or anywhere in PA for that matter, other than perhaps someone putting some in a Lake Erie trib at one time or another. And there may have been some put in the Reservoir going up the Seven Mountains north of Lewistown at one time, but I’m not sure of that. There’s also the Lehigh River much closer to the Poconos to consider, plus many other places that you could consider. (And don’t forget the East Branch and Main Delaware in addition to the West Branch already mentioned.)

Quote Originally Posted by jcotrel1 View Post
    There are a lot of places to fish around State College, including Spring Creek, Big Fishing Creek near Lamar, Penns Creek, The Little Juniata, and others. I?ve never heard of any Landlocked Salmon in that area, or anywhere in PA for that matter, other than perhaps someone putting some in a Lake Erie trib at one time or another. And there may have been some put in the Reservoir going up the Seven Mountains north of Lewistown at one time, but I?m not sure of that. There?s also the Lehigh River much closer to the Poconos to consider, plus many other places that you could consider. (And don?t forget the East Branch and Main Delaware in addition to the West Branch already mentioned.)

The Brodhead is about 45 minutes a bit south and east of you. The upper Lehigh has already been mentioned. There are numerous small streams, creeks and beaver ponds in the area. Unfortunately, many are on private property. Check the maps of the State Game Lands and National Forests in the area to see what might be available. I really can't tell you much about trout fishing up there. When my fishing buddies and I head up to the Poconos, we're usually hitting small lakes and ponds for panfish, bass and chain pickerel. At some point, 40 or so years ago, I ice fished Pocono Lake. We used to rent houses for the hunting and ski season in the area. If you need a break from cold water fishing, catching panfish on a fly rod is fun, and bass and chain pickerel are a blast. They aren't near as picky as trout.

+ Reply to Thread