+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dyna-King Question

Default Dyna-King Question

Alright all you Dyna-King fans out there. I'm looking into buying a new vise in the very near future. I've been tying on a Renzetti Travler for the past few years, but I'm looking to go into the Dyna-Kings now.

My question is really, what is the difference between the Dyna-King Barracuda vs. the Barracuda Junior Treker?

There is a significant difference in prices between the two and I was wondering if the price difference is worth it? It seems to me the only real differences are minor - the treker is slightly smaller, and made of aluminum vs. stainless steel. They both use the exact same jaws, so appears they would work just as well either way.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Darryl
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

i looked at all of them myself.. i liked the overall size of the barracuda.. and i think the ss vs aluminum is a matter of durability over a longer period of time.. i think the barracuda would be something you could pass down to your kids/grandkids.. i believe the aluminum might not hold up as well in the long run..

there are quite a few good vises that fall in a similar price range as the trekker junior.. i have yet to try many of them .but i am still holding off until i decide if i am going to tie small in the future.. lately all i have done are salt.. but things do change..

best of luck

Not being a smart A, But unless your solely wanting to go rotary,why not stick with what you've got,as I know,you already own one the best outthere.
    I do tye on a Dyna-King yes,but,Renn is every bit as good,and both are rather heafty in price,you might do well to contact Renn. and see if some kind of Conversition kit might be had,could save some $$$.

I recently switched from rotary back to non-rotary,also took a huge step up in quality when I went to Dyna-King

whatever your reason's...you already own a great vise......

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I have been trying on my DK-Barracuda Junior for over 5 years now. The original Barracuda Juniors are made of stainless steel. The reason I chose this vise over the regular Barracuda was that I tie 90% of my flies for trout in small streams. If I were tying mostly bass or saltwater flies I would have bought the regular Barracuda. For me, it was a matter of personal conveniences. Take-care!

AlanB Guest

Had both over the last five years and a Marc Petitjean vice in between I am now tying on a Jr Trekker and it is an excelent vice. When tying I hardly notice any difference between this and the Barracuda.

I use it with a clamp and extension arm. After a lot of experimentation I have found that this is the best set up. It is the only way to get the height of the vice right.

Regards,

Alan.

------------------
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Darryl,
    Yes you will want the midge jaws if you go Dyna-King,they also come with the regular jaws having Notches, Which I personally do not care for....I think depending on where you buy from,that you can get it with either and/or both jaws.

I did'nt get the midge with mine..but I will be ordering them shortly as I tye in and around the same sizes you stated.

Glad to hear you have such a kewl kid,hope mine will fallow my steps as well...

Happy tying!!!!

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Hi Darryl....I recently bought the Trekker version after trying both. My tying is similar to yours, trout flys mostly, and the Trekker handles them with no problem. It is a solid vise with the great hookholding of the DK jaws.
    The only difference I could tell between them , besides the obvious ones, is that the Trekker wasnt quite as smooth rotating. I never use the rotary feature for tying so that wasnt a big deal for me.
    The Barracuda just felt like overkill for my tying and the price difference helped sway my decision also.
    Hope this helps.......Jason

Darryl,

It seems you have your mind set on a Barracuda series. I have both the D-K Barracuda and Voyager II. Since you have been tying on the Renzetti Traveler for sometime, you might want to consider the Voyager II. The Voyager II is not a true rotary. I find for me that tying flies size 16 and smaller it is easier to tie on the Voyager II. I use the Barracuda when tying flies larger than size 16 or when I want to rotary tie.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Darryl,

I have all of the Renzetti vises (Master, 3000 and 4000 series and Traveler) and two Dyna-King (Professional and Barracuda).

In my experience the Dyna-King is best for large hooks in saltwater and very large freshwater flies.

The Renzetti is best for smaller trout flies which is your main interest. I have the optional midge jaws for my Barracuda and they are still rather large compared to hook access with the Renzetti 3000 and 4000 series vises. Check out the mid range Renzetti and compare to the Dyna-King designs.

Regards,
    FK

I am currently tying on the dynaking pro and the sidewinder. As as small time commercial tier the sidewinder has served me well. Like JC mentioned it is bulky, I've gotten used to it and love it for what I am doing. I use the pro for everything else.

If you are interested in EITHER of these two vises I know of two forsale at quite cheap. A buddy of mine, also a commercial tier is done tying and is selling both. Drop me a line if you want.

+ Reply to Thread