+ Reply to Thread

Thread: repair question

Default repair question

I don't think I'll ever identify the rod in the post above this one. It has no label and the signature wraps are gone along with much of the other thread. It casts a six weight sylk line beautifully so I want to get it into fishable shape. If I rewrap the guides do I need to do all of the other wraps? Are the wraps between guides decorative? I'll add or replace a hook keeper at the winding check. All three sections are straight and even in length with no cracks. The ferrules are tight and the handle acceptable for fishing so that's all I think I need to do. What finish should I use over the wraps?
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

It's been a long time, but I recall using spar varnish on guide wraps.

I went back on this forum to a 5-10-09 thread that I started on the subject of spar varnish. There were a number of posts on that thread that you might find interesting.

Good luck on the repair job.

John
    The fish are always right.

I think you've got your work cut out for you. Is it bamboo or fiberglass? From the pictures, you'll need new guides and tip, cork grip and a reel seat. I not sure what you mean by the "wraps between the guides" Since it's a three piece, you'll need wraps on the "female portion" that slips over the ferrules. Not sure how well you can see it in this picture.

P8270780 (2).JPG
    As far as using spar varnish, I've never used it. There are several types of epoxies that you can order from catalogs or sites that sell rod building supplies. If it is a bamboo rod, then spar varnish would probably be more appropriate for the rebuild.

Looks like a bamboo rod. If so you need to carefully inspect the bamboo strips and make sure they are sound. Check the length of the 3 pieces, They should be equal length if no breaks and repairs. You will need to scrape the old varnish off the bamboo and revarnish.. replace the guides and tip top. the stripper guide is probably agate and mabe worth keeping. You can use spar varnish on the guide wraps They will need several coats. I'd replace the handle and reel seat.
    A lot of work and time. You could just replace the guides and tip top and try it out The wraps between the guides are decoration and not needed Good luck.

Thanks everyone. I found that the wood was delaminating on the butt section. At that point I gave the rod to someone I know enjoys working on them. I don't and would probably keep putting it off indefinitely. It does cast well and she'll make it look good.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread