+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading about fly-fishing

Lightbulb Reading about fly-fishing

I do more dreaming about it than reading about it
    but, I do on occasion like to brush up on the subject.

These are two books from my modest library worth a mention;

The "Dry Fly and Fast Water" by George La Branche
    and "Minor Tactics of a Chalk Stream" by GEM Skues in the back section of La Branche's book are correspondences between the two men starting in 1925 -thur-1947
    A fascinating journey back in time to listen to their conversations.
    I like Georges writing style and wit.
    The friendly banter between these two fisherman is most enjoyable and teachable.

If these peak your interest search for paper backs good reads
    when cabin fever strikes.

"Dry Fly and Fast Water" by La Branche
    "Minor Tactics of a Chalk Stream" by Skues

Enjoy and take care - sm

Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 07-20-2020 at 05:20 AM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Lightbulb Up the ante ...

... with Paul Arnold's "Wisdom of the Guides".

That book is a compilation of interviews with ten or twelve highly regarded western guides ( think the Intermountain West and Northern Rockies )
    done in the late 1990's. Last time I checked, not all that long ago, it is still available ( think it was Amazon ). It's an easy read at about 150 pages with some really knowledgable and interesting fly anglers / guides.

I haven't read a lot of books on fly fishing, but of those that I have read, this is the best one, period.

John
    The fish are always right.

Cool

I have an extensive fishing library after forty years..- Been able to collect some fine works from some of the best authors. - I am fortunate my wife loves reading and book stores in some nice fishing regions too!- It is for sure a disorder in such a good way.- In my estimation fly-fishing , aquatic entomology , fly-casting and just plain enjoying the outdoors where these addictions of our can be done is second to none.. -Can I have a second . - Joe, UJ , REE, Betty , somebody .. anybody Slow day today can you tell , lol - Peace..

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ... with Paul Arnold's "Wisdom of the Guides". I haven't read a lot of books on fly fishing, but of those that I have read, this is the best one, period.John
    Well I love to read on the subject and while I do have Wisdom of the Guides and for sure its a winner , not so sure about period,, - Another couple good ones : "Fly fishing Idaho?s Secret Waters" , the cover photo shows the area John Scott & I fished some years ago. It covers several other great areas and fly's to use with solid information on the regions, A nice book. "The Pleasures of Fly Fishing" , by V.S.Hidy. A classic Pete take you on a photographic journey along with some writings from Classic past authors. The book is no longer in print but a real treasure if you can find it. It may be available , check it out if you can. "The Essence if Flycasting", by Mel Krieger. This in MHO is one of the best instructor book on the market. If you can pickup his video on the subject , it follows his work in this book and his humor throughout is really second to none. Enjoy reading , cheers.

Lightbulb Another good read

For some that are interested in fly fishing another favorite of mine on subject is a book by John Goddard -"Trout Fishing Techniques? -. - Cheers

Words to live by from a favorite author - Robert Traver " from his book ~ Trout Magic ~?I fish because I love to. Because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly. Because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape. Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion. Because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed, or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility, and endless patience. Because I suspect that men are going this way for the last time and I for one don't want to waste the trip. Because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters. Because in the woods I can find solitude without loneliness. ... And finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun.?----------->

Cool Fairsized Creek !

Another good book , that I added to my collection :----? Lessons Of Fairsized Creek- John Huber " ----Well written with very good advice for those of us that are always looking for way to polish our flyfshing skills.-- Good reference materials after the 1st read. --A real keeper .. Check it out..

Lightbulb Pro Talk by Ron Newman

Trout have shown me that you can get into trouble by opening your mouth... --Don't plan your evening meal around fish that you haven't caught... --If you consider the landing of a fish as a bonus'. - then your will always enjoy fishing ....---------------Excerpts from "Things I have Learned From Fly Fishing"

Lightbulb History and early start reading

American Fly Fishing by Paul Schullery Very well put together and covers it all. --- Cheers -------->>🐠

Default Truth be told !

Nice video tribute, old footage featuring Mr. John Voelker in his Trout Madness element, fishing scenes etc. I came across this on YouTube thought the forum would enjoy it too. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7OX7qXVexzoBrook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 12-09-2023 at 08:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread