+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mpg ...

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Mpg ...

... ranch ...

... not as in "miles per gallon" but as in MPG Ranch in the northern Saphire Mountains just south of Missoula MT.

They got this bunch of trail cameras going 24/7 that pick up all kinds of wildlife on their very large conservation oriented piece of land. Bears, mountain lions, bobcats, foxes, coyotes, moose, elk, deer, otters, badgers, marmots. Only one wolf so far in a couple years of watching, and only a couple pronghorn antelope, which are really rare in the Bitterroot / Saphire ranges. Plus some feral horses.

Also, there are a good number of live video feeds, a couple of which are identified for osprey nests. The cameras have 360* rotation plus up / down adjustment and a zoom feature. Its possible to scan a very large area of wildland and occasionally find wildlife to observe. Presently, both of the osprey nests are occupied, and the hens should be laying eggs shortly. There is also a kestrel nest, but the kestrels haven't done well the past couple years, for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, it's an interesting place to go when you have to stay at home, and even when your don't.

John
    The fish are always right.

That sounds like a great place to visit John, I wish they had not put it so far away.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thanks for the tip John, this link to get started if interested.

MPG Ranch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wqgvRuBr24
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Steve et al -

To get to the Ranch's website and access the trail cameras and live video feeds, go to --- mpgranch.com.

When you get to the homepage, use the horizontally barred ( menu ) icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen to reach the links to the trail cameras and videos.

John

Just a couple more notes.

Watching the osprey from nest building to the point when their chicks begin leaving the nest, fishing on their own, and finally leaving the nest has been a really enjoyable experience for me personally the past couple of years. I'm thinking there are a lot of younger people and children who might also enjoy watching that unfold day by day.

This is the season of birth on the ranch. Expect to see this year's new bear cubs, lion kittens, elk calves, deer fawns, equine foals, etc starting any day now. ( Only one new elk calf and one foal so far this year. And one new cub. )

Also, there are a number of different water fowl and some raptors, like bald and golden eagles that make occasional appearances on the trail cams, and one of the ponds on the live feed has a large population of turtles, which can be quite amusing.

Besides the live and daily activity on the live feeds and trail cams, there are a whole bunch of videos that can be quite entertaining and informative.

This ranch is a real resource in so many ways. And while it is in my back yard in western Montana, it is available to anyone with an internet connection.

John

Thanks to you John , I will be late to the office this morning,
    I did get out over the weekend for our season opener . the county
    I reside was one of the ones to stay on the April date, a few others on the river
    but many spots were vacant and made for a great time on the water.

Take care.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

+ Reply to Thread