+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pecos River NM Aug. 2019

Default Pecos River NM Aug. 2019

Fished the Pecos River in NM this past August 2019.

Caught a lot of Rainbow Trout and Brown Trout.

Used a Dry and Dropper setup for the shallow pocket water and along the bank:
    Tenkara Rod: Tenkara USA Iwana
    Line: 9 ft of #3.5 Tenkara USA Level Line
    Tippet: Trout Hunter => 3 ft of 5X to dry fly and 8 - 12 in. from bend of Dry Fly to dropper.
    Dry Fly: #12 Olive Elk Hair Caddis
    Dropper Fly: #12 Bead Head Utah Killer Bug and #14 Bead Head Pheasant Tail Nymph

Used a Euro Style setup for deeper pools:
    Tenkara Rod: Tenkara USA Amago
    Line: 8 ft of #3.5 Tenkara USA Level Line
    Tippet: Trout Hunter => 5 ft of 5X to 1st fly on a tag dropper and 18 in. of 5X to 2nd fly.
    1st Fly: #14 Bead Head Jig Rainbow Warrior
    2nd Fly: #14 Bead Head Jig Pheasant Tail Nymph

Picture1.jpg Picture2.jpg Picture3.jpg

Looks like great fun.

Rick

Great day!
    Isaiah 41:10

Thanks for letting us know how you rigged your rod. I am just starting to try a little tenkara fishing.
    Were the fish taking the dry or the nymphs? What was the average depth of water in the areas that you fished?
    Thanks xfishcop

About 90% of the fish took the nymph. Some would rise short, but then take the nymph when they turned to go back down. The other 10% that did take the dry was great also. I get the best of both worlds on watching fish take a dry fly or watching the cork (i.e. dry fly) go under the water indicating a strike. The dry and dropper worked well in the shallow pocket water on the Pecos. This water is about 1 ft to 2 ft in depth. It would also work in the deep pools (3 ft to 5 ft deep). However, after fishing the pool, I would go back through it with the Euro setup and pick up more fish. No doubt about the strikes with the Euro set up. I found that the Dry and Dropper worked better in the shallow water than the Euro setup.

To give you another thing that I did was to use the Non-Slip-Loop knot for tying on all the flies (including the dry fly). See below on how to tie the Non-Slip-Loop knot.

Thanks Vinny

NonSlipMonoLoop.jpg

Great info,really appreciated. Like I said I am just venturing into tenkara. Your rigging sounds like it would work around here.

Vinny, I'm guessing you were fishing north of the I-25. Nice little trouts. I have fished that region many years ago when I lived in the Las Vegas, NM area. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Jim - Yes, we fished north of I-25, above Pecos NM and around Tererro. We'll be fishing the San Juan River this week. Vinny

OOH! I like fishing the San Juan. Good luck.
    I've fished that area North of Pecos. Caught many small trout in a beautiful wide hole about a quarter mile off the road between Tres Lagunas and Tererro.
    Actually I've fished the Pecos from just below the headwaters all the way south to Red Bluff, Texas. I've taken trout, bass, carp, gar, blue gill, perch and crappy. Always preferred the Pecos over the Rio Grande. San Juan was too much of a trip as I lived in both Las Vegas and Hobbs. I've been there a few times both New Mexico and Colorado.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Just got back from the San Juan River. I did not use the Tenkara rod, but did use a Euro Nymph rod to accomplish the same results.
    I have used the Tenkara rod on the San Juan River. I have landed several 21 in. Rainbows with the Tenkara rod in shallow water that I could wade. However, I had several break off when they would run on me and I couldn't follow because of deep water.

See "Fishing San Juan River Sept 11 and 12, 2019" under Fishing Reports:
    http://flyanglersonline.com/bb/showt...728#post534728

Vinny

+ Reply to Thread