+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power Head for furling

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Default Power Head for furling

I have built a new furling board and want to motorize it. The problem is finding gears for power head. Any suggestions would be so appreciated

I found a good selection of gears when I built my last furling jig some time ago at SDP-SI.com.

I just checked their website and it is still up and shows quite the selection of gears. They are on the pricey side - but you get what you pay for, and I have been quite satisfied with the quality and durability of the gears purchased from them.

John
    The fish are always right.

Actually Mr John Scott,I was hoping you would chime in (I really respect your comments) and I'm gonna check. Again Thanks. I barely remember the board you posted pics of and that is what I would like to duplcate

You are quite welcome.

Another possibility, depending on how far along you are in building a new jig, is the personal furling machine from the eclectic angler. It is currently listed as out of stock, but available on order, for $100 at www.eclecticangler.com.

If some one just getting started intends to furl leaders for a long time, or a whole bunch of them, or wants a furling jig to pass along at some point, the eclectic angler's personal furling machine would be a great investment. It's probably about 2-3 times the cost of a set of gears from SDP-SI, but probably 20-30 times the value for a long term or high volume furler. And it is much easier to set up than any "home brew" set of gearing.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks again John for your opinion and the link. After speaking with SDP/SI I believe that is my best option.
    I'm not making them commercially, but already want at least 9 of different lengths,materials, and weights. and of course to experiment with.
    I have Kathy Scotts DVD. and have made some. but I would like uniform twists. I'm not good at timing or counting the twists on each leg. lol
    I have retired now and no longer live in Maine. I have moved to NC. So no longer targeting trout,but instead warm water species, and am down to my last 2 leaders (that are showing a lot of ware) so experimenting is key.

Again thank you for your help John
    Mark
    '

https://www.surplusshed.com

This is where I bought my gears.

Thank you Charles

+ Reply to Thread