+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Down to 3 new boats, could use a push in the right direction

Hybrid View

Default Down to 3 new boats, could use a push in the right direction

I've had so much fun paddling that I want to upgrade my kayak selection. This last week I picked up a new kayak trailer and now I need to buy a boat so that I can use the new trailer.

New 4 place kayak trailer: http://www.tritontrailers.com/waterc...r-sport/kayak/

I'm down to three boats.

The Jackson Mayfly has been on the short list since it's introduction. Perfect for a sight casting, standing fly fisherman.

Jackson Coosa FD. This is a pedal boat and I will be able to cover more ground, love the FD drive for shallow water in that if you hit an obstruction the drive will fold up into the boat and not cause a problem when fishing the flats. Concerned about line management with the pedals.

Hobie PA 14. Big water boat, beautiful if I want to hit Lake Michigan but would only do that a couple of times per year. Concerned about shallow water with damage to the drive mechanism. I chase the carp in shallow water with the fly rod often. Concerned about fly line management and while I own two different stripping baskets, I never really liked using them.

So what do you guys think?

All are great fishing tools.
    I like the Hobie Mirage and the Jackson FlexDrive pedal systems. I think the Mirage drive is quieter. I KNOW I can sneak up on fish with it. I haven't had the FD out enough times yet to determine how fish react to it yet. You can go in shallow water with the Mirage....just make short strokes with the pedals far apart.

If line management is a concern, maybe a paddle kayak is better because of fewer things to tangle the line on.
    I think Drew Ross has owned both the Mayfly and the Coosa FD. He is/was on Jackson Kayak pro staff, I believe. He'll give you an honest review of both. And he flyfishes for grass carp!
    Here's his blog, which also has links to his Facebook and Instagram.
    http://looknfishy.blogspot.com/
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Thanks for the thoughts David. I really, really like the open deck of the Mayfly, I really, really like the ability to move from one place to another quicker with the pedal drives. Just was on Drews website, nice that he hunts carp too and fly fishes. It's hard to find someone with the same set of requirements that you and I and Drew have. That is not the same requirement as most fly fisherman or most kayakers.

So tell me about the Hobie more. The flex drive is noisier but if you hit something that you didn't expect, it's less likely to have problems. The Hobie does have that shock cord that you can leash up the pedal drive fins so that they are under the hull tightly, but what about hitting something that you weren't prepared for or didn't see?

I would like to float some streams for trout and like most trout streams there is a run area followed by a pool area. I just don't want to damage the drive. For lakes and ponds, I think that the Hobie will be great. Streams and flats concern me. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I also own a fish locator that has side imaging and the transducer needs to be mounted below the line of the hull to use the side imaging to it's fullist capability. Have you seen the 2019 Hobie transducer mount: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwUL9VlFO14

Last question. What do you think of color as it relates to chasing carp? The Papaya is better to be seen by other boaters, the Sand is better to be NOT seen by the fish. I don't wear a bright PFD or bright shirts when chasing the carp. They can be skittish. Was thinking of Sand color. When in heavy boat traffic I would thik that the Papaya would be better.

Sorry for so many questions.

I've had the Hobie for 10 years. Never had it on moving water, just lakes and reservoirs. I hit a few rocks and trees that I didn't see. Even got high-centered and had to work pretty hard to get off the obstruction! I never sustained any damage to the Mirage Drive. Its pretty tough. Remember, you're probably usually only pedalling the kayak at 2 to 5 mph. Now...moving with current in a stream and hitting a rock might provide enough force to damage the drive. Just my own opinion, I don't think pedal drives of any kind are a good option for shallow streams. That's not to say they wouldn't work, just not the best option. Now, you could still buy a pedal yak, and just don't use the pedal drive when you visit the shallow streams...you can still use a paddle for these kayaks like you would a standard kayak.

That new retractable transducer mount will be nice for folks like you that have a sidescan fishfinder. I just have an old Lowrance color unit I use on my Hobie that works great...I installed the transducer inside the hull so it can't ever get damaged.

I have the sand color kayak, and as I mentioned, I have totally snuck up on fish. I really like the color....Its a nearly white spot on the water....if other boaters can't see you, they must be texting and driving. ;o) That being said...my 360 Angler is Camo colored.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Thanks again David. I do have the current kayak. You're right in that I could always use the current boat for moving water and the new boat for larger bodies of water.

Thanks for confirming that Dune or camo is what I really want if I go for the Hobie. The Jackson I like the Forest color.

+ Reply to Thread