+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Fish In

Default Michigan Fish In

Gates Lodge, Grayling, MI is the rendezvous location, 6/24 - 7/1, 2018. As Kaboom mentioned in a post under Fly Anglers above, if you want reservations at Gates Lodge for this event, you need to make them early. This location fills up fast! However, there are several motels/lodges in the town of Grayling that have been used by some in the past and quite comfortable. Prices for food and lodging are very reasonable at most locations in the area.

So far this year, conditions are good and the catch rate is improving with the weather. One option is to sign up here if you intend to join us this year.
    Last edited by jcampbell; 05-20-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    God Bless America

Great idea to post this here! Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Fish-In. Bringing a friend who retired this year to fish the "Holy Waters". Looks like we'll be staying at the Camp Grayling Campground. If you're active or retired military this is a great, low cost option. Nice sites, generally not too rowdy as it's a military family dominated facility. Within 15 minutes or so from "Gates" and right between both the Manistee and the Ausable watersheds. Michigan in late June is delightful. Looking forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks.
    Joe Bertolini

Good to hear from you Joe. Looks like there are only 5 plus one maybe who are currently responding. You, your friend, Brad, Bill, myself and possibly Marco. Hopefully, we can interest a few others as the dates get closer. If the general consensus is to do something at my house again, I'm up for it. That will be up to Brad. Of course, my buddies, Don and Duane who you all met last year will likely attend any social and possibly fish as well.
    God Bless America

John
    I am willing to have another meet and greet. I will get with Joe and see what we can come up with. More details as we get things together.
    Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Update on the Meet and Greet....
    This will take place on Monday, June 25. The location will be JonCampbell's home located off of Whirpool Rd. I will let John post the actual address to his home. Turn on Whirpool Rd and go down to the last road on the right, turn right and John's home is about 1/4 to 3/8 of a mile on the left. There is parking across the road from the house.
    Anyone in the Grayling area that reads this is welcome. Come on out and make yourself known, we would love to meet you!
    We will try and get started around 4:30 pm. Meet everyone, have a drink or two, tell some lies and then try and eat around 6:00 pm. That will give us time to hit the water after dinner.
    We will be having venison burgers, brats, potato salad, and all the trimmings. Please bring your own beverages and throw in a chair if possible. All of the plates, utensils and cups will be furnished. We plan on breaking out the finest paper and plastic that money can buy!
    If you plan on coming, just let me know so we will have food for all.
    See you all on the 25 th.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Sure wish I was able to get up there this year. Last year great and meet was a good time Sound's like this great and meet will be a good time. Those that do show up will have a good time.
    The fishing was good it was the catching that was bad

As Brad mentioned, Whirlpool Road is off North Down River Road to the south. Come all the way down Whirlpool Road and take the last possible right on to Snow Road. There is a sign there that states Private Road/Snow Road. My address is 618 Snow Road. All houses are on the river and we are the fifth one. It is a tan house on the river side and a tan garage on the other. Park in the open area in front of the garage door. Parking on the grass is fine. By the way, the speed limit on the road is 15 MPH. You'll see way. We are right on the river, so you can't miss us. Look forward to seeing you folks. Thanks to Brad and Joe for the arrangements.
    God Bless America

Looking a bit better herebouts as to my ( sans wife- she's travelling East with daughter)) attendance. As always, I look forward to a few good days astream and a few sips of distilled spirits with friends around Gates Ausable Lodge firepit.
    For those interested, there is a gravel pit near McMasters bridge very suitable for honing ones skill with any firearm one may own. I always, and will again, take advantage of this .
    In any case, if the creek don'r rise, I'll be there and probably staying at the luxurious 5 star Super 8 in town.
    Mark

Fished the Whirlpool many times over the years back in the 60's and early 70's. Fond memories.

Actually, not much has changed over the years. I am told Whirlpool road was not paved back then, but nice paved road now. Someone on this site asked about Castwell's memorial bench at Gates lodge the other day. I floated by Gates yesterday and the Granite bench was shining in the sun. So, all is good. Sure wish you guys could find your way back here from MT for the FI
    God Bless America

+ Reply to Thread