+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UV Cure on guides?

Default UV Cure on guides?

Hi,
    As I finally get ready to redo a low end rod to practice for the good ones, I was wondering. I do that, my mind wonders and wanders, oops. Would Bondic, the UV Cure resin in a tube application with a built-in UV light be good to seal the wraps on rod guides? Seems like you could scootch some on and then hit it with the UV light. Instant cure, no runs or drips?
    Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Is the Bondic flexible? What happens when the rod flexes under the wraps? I'm not saying it wouldn't work, just that you need to do some research first.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Good points. I think, in using it on fly wing cases that it is as flexible as epoxy, which to me is not very. I will try it first, I must have a "test" blank around.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Not much of a rod builder, but I have used a small dab of UV resin to fill a small gap on a rod and it seems to have worked ok. Note that there are a variety of UV resins out there with different properties. Solarez, for example, as "thick", "thin", "ultra thin" and "flex" formulas available. The flex formula is being useable for wader repair. See http://solarez.com/fly-tie-fishing/

IMO, I don't believe that you would be happy with the end results.
    Most rod epoxies that I have worked with have been 2 part epoxies and they all required proper mixing and rotation for a few hours once applied to the rod threads.
    The epoxy is meant to soak into the threads causing a flexible bond between rod blank and the guide feet, while rotation allows it to level out as it slowly dries, thus producing a beautiful level finish to the rod. Failure to rotate will cause the epoxy to droop, run, drip, etc. You can do a beautiful job building the rod only to ruin it by incorrect epoxy work.
    I would save the UV stuff for your fly heads and use some Flex Coat rod epoxy to finish your rod work. You'll be happy in the end. Search the rod builder web sites for tons of info on the subject if you wish.
    I hope this was helpful to you and good luck with your rod.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Thanks David. I'll use a dowel and junk guide to try it first, but I will probably go back to the epoxy. But, we'll see!
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread