+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have 'Fly Swaps' Gone The Way of the DoDo?

Default Have 'Fly Swaps' Gone The Way of the DoDo?

If so, what do you think caused the extinction?
    Is it that tiers: have too many flies; do not enough time; don't trust the potential swappers to participate or offer up some well tied quality flies; don't want others' flies; don't like the 'themes'; don't want to be bothered or make the commitment; have had a negative experience(s) insofar as 'late' deliveries; or, is/are there some other reason?
    Allan

Since fly swaps are alive and well on many other sites, I'd hazard to guess that it's the make-up of the membership of this particular BB. Either there simply isn't a critical mass, or no one in interested in hosting. It may very well be the latter; I haven't noticed any one trying to start a swap and then find there aren't enough participants.
    Bob

I've participated in some this past year, as both host and participant. They're alive. Just not here.
    Isaiah 41:10

We had problems with flies lost in the mail on the last two swaps I hosted. That and having to dun one participant to send postage wore out my interest in hosting.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I went through several pages of the fly swap forum this evening trying to determine what had changed. I read several threads of swaps that I had participated in and several that I had not. One thing that struck me was how may more active participants there were on the board. Even with many more possible participants most swaps took at least several days to fill. With many fewer people posting regularly it takes a greater percentage of those people to fill a swap. Looking at those swaps I did not join, some had themes that did not interest me, some seemed to be filling with simple or uninteresting flies and others I might well have joined. At this time I can't remember why I didn't in any given swap but work hours or other commiments may have contributed. One thing that was clear was that some of the people who had joined a lot of swaps at one time were active in the swap of the month before that too seemed to disappear and were not usually doing other swaps.

​Hey Alan, If you want to host a swap, jump right in, I'll be glad to participate !
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Okay. I’m willing to give swaps another shot. Just so you all know, I’ve hosted and participated in I’m guessing at least a couple of dozen swaps here. Way back my pseudo name was ‘tyeflies’ then Allan. You can look up my participation.
    Anyway let’s see if there’s interest. Theme will be my favorite: CATSKILLS CLASSICS. Will need a dirty dozen participants.
    I’ll be tying a Dark Cahill wet.
    Estimate a due date of Jan. 1 Actual date to be announced after sign up. Date for that will be Nov. 30th.
    Any takers?
    Allan

I'm in. Fly TBD.
    Bob

​I'm in ! Fly TBD
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

I'll try to tie an American march brown wet fly if that will work. I see a few variations on line but I'll stick to the recipe in TROUT.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 11-25-2017 at 12:12 AM.

+ Reply to Thread