+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Line Cleaning

Default Line Cleaning

Has anyone tried using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean a fly line? I'm sure it would do a good job of cleaning as they will clean darn near anything. I actually used one to clean the lake scum off the side of my aluminum jon boat. However, I have no idea what chemical is imbedded in them so am a little concerned it could damage the line. They would be handy to use as you could easily cut one in two and carry it in your vest.

Any thoughts?

I have used these to clean my lines. It works well but I make sure to use some line dressing after I clean the line. Just don't use it to hard on the line as there may be light abrasives in the sponge. But it has worked well for me so far.

Blog Entries

I always just use heavily diluted Dawn and water. Works well and I don't think it will do any harm to the line.
    I also try to dress the line after cleaning and drying.

I wouldn't use them on any fly line. There is definitely abrasives in them. We used them to clean some walls one time, after we were done, when the light hit them right they looked like they had been sanded.

I second what Byron said..
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Blog Entries

I clean and treat my fly lines every night before I go fishing. I know they say that the lines shouldn't be damaged by many cleaners but I do not trust that. I simply fill a sink full of all hot tap water and strip off a lot of line into the water. I then take face cloth (especially floating line) and place it over the fly line to sink I enough to be fully submerged in the very hot tap water. I let it soak for at least 15 minutes then wring out the face cloth and run the fly line through my closed fist so the cloth cleans the line. After doing that about 3 times, the cloth shows no dirt marks when I run the line thru the cloth. I then hang it in large loops and let it dry. After that I treat it with some Loon Line Speed (only on the floating line) and leave it hanging over night. In the morning I buff the line down with a dry towel and I am ready for the day. I refill the sink with hot tap water for each line I am cleaning.

But, speaking of the Magic Eraser, it is a great item to use to clean the cork on your grips. Makes them look almost brand new.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Quote Originally Posted by John Forish View Post
    I wouldn't use them on any fly line. There is definitely abrasives in them. We used them to clean some walls one time, after we were done, when the light hit them right they looked like they had been sanded.
    That's kind of what I suspected especially seeing how it cleaned the pond scum off my jon boat. I've always cleaned mine in a sink using Ivory soap, then rinsing and drying.

+ Reply to Thread