+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tippet rings

Hybrid View

Default Tippet rings

Need a place to get some tippet ring's other then JStockard's
    Brad told me of a place but I forgot it lol
    The fishing was good it was the catching that was bad

The first tippet rings I used were the links of a silver chain bought at a local jewelry store. That source of tippet rings was recommended by the fellow who introduced me to making my own furled leaders. The chain was 10" long and had one hundred links, and cost ten bucks. Sacrificing half the links produced fifty tippet rings at a cost of 20 cents each. Those links were every bit as good as the pricey ones you buy from fly angling resources outlets.

More recently, I've been using the links of a small steel chain left over from a piece of jewelry my wife bought at a thrift store for an art project. The piece of jewelry cost $1.50 - so the cost of the chain was practically zero. Getting about fifty tippet rings out of the chain, even at the full cost of the jewelry of $1.50, means I'm getting right sized and good quality tippet rings about 3 cents each.

John
    The fish are always right.

What is the benefit of using a tippet ring..
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Although what I know about furled leaders is close to what I know about mathematical manifolds, tippet rings obviously are great for ease of connecting whatever ...............such as tippet material. As far as using jewelry chains etc, in order to use them, one must CUT each link to remove it from the continuous chain thus compromising it's mechanical integrity. The tippet rings that are on MY few furled leaders are continuous circles/rings with no chance of an opening or separation failure. Need, cost, worth, value, utility.

Mark

Having said that, I'd rather be and am now in Wyoming.
    Last edited by Marco; 09-25-2017 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Although what I know about furled leaders is close to what I know about mathematical manifolds, tippet rings obviously are great for ease of connecting whatever ...............such as tippet material. As far as using jewelry chains etc, in order to use them, one must CUT each link to remove it from the continuous chain thus compromising it's mechanical integrity. The tippet rings that are on MY few furled leaders are continuous circles/rings with no chance of an opening or separation failure. Need, cost, worth, value, utility.

Mark

Having said that, I'd rather be and am now in Wyoming.
    What you know about sacrificing every other link in a chain to get a "continuous ring with no chance of an opening or separation failure" appears to be close to what you know about "mathematical manifolds", or simple math, as far as that goes.

The tippet rings from silver and steal chains used on virtually all the furled leaders I've used exclusively for dry fly fishing over the past dozen plus years, fishing dry flies somewhere around 80-90 days per year, have no opening or separation to fail.

Need, cost, worth, value, utility are all represented by the chain sourced tippet rings in my many, many furled leaders, said tippet rings costing pennies each.

John

I see ! Clear as a bell now.

Mark

might want to browse the skagit-anglers store on the auction site, can't say enough good things about service or pricing … ( & no relation … )

I use Jumprings, sterling silver-filled, 4mm soldered round, 2.6 inside diameter, 22 gauge.

Pkg of 100 for $12.98 or wait for their sales.....)

www.firemountaingems.com

PenPen -

Thanks for taking the time to comment on and post a link to the product you are using. Looks like a really good item at a really good price. If I wasn't already set for life with virtually free thrift shop rings, I'd have an order in for some jumprings.

Likely a good number of folks will benefit from the time and interest you've shown in contributing to the discussion. Unfortunately, not many folks on this BB have the time or inclination to show some appreciation and to say thanks.

John

Not sure why so many people (96 Guests) troll this Forum without becoming a member. I have garnished some real nuggets from this Forum over the past few years.
    The jumprings were a good find for the price; but Free is even better......)

Walt

+ Reply to Thread