+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transducer mounting on Yak, Scupper hole or rudder mounting area?

Default Transducer mounting on Yak, Scupper hole or rudder mounting area?

Anyone mount a transducer on the rudder mounting bracket on their kayak? I see the Lowrance scupper hole mounting kit. The scupper hole just looks like a no fuss mounting option. My Kayak is set up for a rudder kit, but I'm not interested in a rudder at this point and was considering mounting the transducer bracket on the rudder mounting area. Anyone see any issues with mounting the transducer in this area?

Thanks

You can also just epoxy the transducer to the bottom and it will work check it out on u tube

I don't use a fish finder but if I did I would seriously look into the Ram transducer arm set up that deploys your transducer over the side of the kayak, along with possibly the YakAttack Cellblock. Pretty slick set up that can be easily taken off and left at home or locked in the truck while you go in and grab a cheeseburger. There are lots of other ways to set it up or make your own transducer arm, just do some searching on YouTube and you'll find lots of options in all price ranges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kajYeTUmbdc
    -Jameson

Quote Originally Posted by chucke3 View Post
    You can also just epoxy the transducer to the bottom and it will work check it out on u tube
    I have seen the through the hull type installs and many people are satisfied with the transducer performance when installed like this. I want the transducer in the water, I think that it will give better performance.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaYakFish View Post
    I don't use a fish finder but if I did I would seriously look into the Ram transducer arm set up that deploys your transducer over the side of the kayak, along with possibly the YakAttack Cellblock. Pretty slick set up that can be easily taken off and left at home or locked in the truck while you go in and grab a cheeseburger. There are lots of other ways to set it up or make your own transducer arm, just do some searching on YouTube and you'll find lots of options in all price ranges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kajYeTUmbdc
    Indiana Yak, listen carefully at the 2:05 point in the video. He says if you don't have a kayak with a scupper mount transducer, this is a good option.

I guess what interests me about the scupper mount option is that the transducer is protected and won't bottom out when you come up on rocks or a sand bar and the transducer is in the water.

This Lowrance scupper mount, is interesting, but I might DIY a scupper mount if I get ambitious. Thanks for the YouTube hint from both of you guys. There are a lot of nice videos to watch on the subject.

I still haven't seen anything on mounting the transducer on the rudder mounting on the back of the yak. I might still try that since that looks like the easiest install. Mounting holes are already there and the transducer is protected.

My new Hobie had a transducer mounting plate on the bottom set up so you could simply bolt on a Lowrance transducer. I bought a Garmin deptfinder and no way could I bolt the transducer on. I glued it on instead. So far so good.

clay,

I have had depth finder in my yak since I got it in 2006. I used plumbers goop to attach it to the inside hull. have had absolutely no issues with the mounting, but it is a little tough to remove when you change depth finders. traded in my wives outback for a sport model a couple years back and it had a bracket installed for mounting a lowrance transducer, but as previously mentioned it only works for a lowrance unit.

if I had to do it all over again I would probably still goop the transducer to the inside of the hull. with it inside the yak you don't have to worry about it being ripped off of the yak by a random obstruction as you drift down the river

for power I use a deer feeder battery. I have a hobie revolution, and the additional weight does not seem to be an issue. im 6' 4", 215 lbs, and with me and all my gear in it I don't think im overloaded. my wifes kyak is a hobie sport, much smaller and lighter. in her yak I use , if I remember correctly 6 aa size rechargeable batteries in a water proof box. light weight but needs recharging after about 8 hours use.

http://www.fishfindersource.com/4-wa...er-in-a-kayak/

clay, take a look at this info, by the way its 8 size aa,not 6

Thanks John for the nice link and comments.

+ Reply to Thread