+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smallest Hook

Hybrid View

Default Smallest Hook

The smallest hook made, as many of you know, was the Mustad 277 size 32. As you also know, Mustad stopped production of these hooks years ago and are nearly impossible to find. Well, I did, and was wondering if anyone knows how much a half of a box (50 or so) might actually be worth in $$'s?
    Just looking for a numerical answer if someone has come across this subject, not a philosophical one.

Thanks.

A guy was selling those for 5$ each on this board a while back.

I'm sure if you check back through the older posts on this sub-forum, you'll find a post or two about a fly tied on a Mustad size 40! Supposedly there was just one small production run of those back in the 70's, and every now and then, some will turn up.

I've got some TMC 101 size 24's, and I've tied a couple flies with those. A size 32 (or smaller) is just pure insanity!

A rod builder might be an investor for custom inlays, otherwise many would probably purchase a few more for replacing those that were shot out of a vise before even getting dressed with thread disappearing into space &/or for gag birthday gifts.

Several years ago I bought a box of 100 for $50.00 on Ebay. That was the last box I have seen in some time. Individually I have seen them go from $5 to 10 each.

I tie flies on the Mustad #32's, so I am always interested in finding a good opportunity to buy them at a reasonable price. But scarcity drives the price up, even if it's just for collector's items. Someone who has purchased them for investment purposes is looking for payback. Keep looking for auctions where there's fly tying supplies for sale. This is a good chance for a buy, as not too many tiers tie on them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread