+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Imported flies v. Locally Tied Flies

I'm not saying that your assumption is incorrect but I have met tyers that tye commercially here in the States that never cast a fly on their local or any waters. Yet their flies are tyed as well as any, it's just what they like to do.

Ever since I started fishing as a kid I have often read that having confidence in the lure (fly ) you are using is a large part of success. That may come into play here also.

My trout fly's are far from perfect, some might judge embarrassing, but they generally do pretty darn well. Fresh and salt also do OK. Ever notice that fly's that get ratted up after a few catches still continue to catch fish? Guess my point is that the fish probably aren't as critical as the fisherman..<br><br>

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Ralph,
    What I have read and heard from those familiar with overseas tying operations have said that such operations are supplied with the best materials available (The head of Umpqua wrote an article about the process and materials used in a national fly fishing/tying magazine not that long ago).

They send famous tiers there to demonstrate to the tiers how to tie the flies. I visited with Royce Dam (a famous tier, and winner of the Buz Buszek Award) about this. He was sent there to teach patterns.

What I was getting at, is that they are somewhat "plastic" or "antiseptic" appearance. They just don't look as "fishy" to me as those tied by professional tiers here who are fly fishers themselves.......see the insects.........observe their behavior........see their behavior......etc., etc.

Interesting article here: http://www.itinerantangler.com/blog/..._foreign_tied/
    Byron, That was my point...they lose the much of the personal attention often applied. I would agree that great efforts go into overseas tying. Especially from the business aspect of companies such as Umpqua. However, I am familiar with the process, and there is an "economics" side of the business as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    Byron, That was my point...they lose the much of the personal attention often applied. I would agree that great efforts go into overseas tying. Especially from the business aspect of companies such as Umpqua. However, I am familiar with the process, and there is an "economics" side of the business as well.
    What business does not have an economic side. That's a given.
    God Bless America

When you place a fly in one of your boxes or on your patch, if you believe the fly will catch fish or if if you believe it won't. You are probably right. But, no matter how well or poorly tied their is a satisfaction with catching a nice fish on your own creation. And most fish are predators; predators attack the young, the lame, the weak (which describes most of my tyes.)
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Funny Jesse! I'm sure your flies work on healthy fish with good vision!

Bryon, I specialize in the aged wildebeest from the perimeter of the herd look. The lions don't go for the strong bull leading the herd.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbell View Post
    What business does not have an economic side. That's a given.
    Which is my point all along.

That the primary difference in this comparison, is the result of the econimics decisions on the commercial end. Just an opinion though.

+ Reply to Thread