+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Imported flies v. Locally Tied Flies

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Imported flies v. Locally Tied Flies

This is a dangerous thread to post, but have thought about it for many years.

It is very hard to describe/explain, but I have found that the most effective flies I have purchased have been those tied by locals and sold at the local fly shop. Most, not all, fly shops sell mostly imported flies. Such flies are tied "perfectly" with the best materials. They are tied by folks overseas who have never seen a trout, but were taught how to tie specific flies and do so all day/all year. They are able to tie the flies "perfectly".

BUT, when I purchase flies, I prefer those tied by locals, who are great tiers as well, and just seem to tie the more "realistic" and more effective patterns.

As one example only: In the Trouthunter Fly Shop on the banks of the Henry's Fork, they have bins and bins of well tied flies which I am pretty sure are all or primarily imported flies. Then, they have a lesser section of bins which hold flies tied by Rene Harrop and his wife or daughter. I have always found the Harrop flies to be more effective and to look more "fishy" than the perfect, and seemingly antiseptic imports. I also enjoy Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in West Yellowstone where, I believe, most flies are tied by Craig, Jon, staff, and local tiers.............

Another example is in Bob Jacklin's shop in West Yellowstone. Bob ties quite a few patterns which are in his expansive bins. To identify his personally tied flies, a little paper tag is hooked to his tied flies. They do command a premium price over the imports, but I have found them to look more realistic and to be the more effective ties in the shop.

It just seems that tiers who have seen the actual insects they are imitating, and are skilled tiers, produce the more effective flies than overseas tiers who have simply been taught exactly how to tie a particular pattern and tie it exactly as taught and have most likely never seen the insect they are imitating.

Anyone else feel this way?

Local tiers-fisherman flies will always be better because they have the most intimate knowledge and experience on their waters

Blog Entries

Thanks OK, speaking more about the tie than the pattern. As an example, if I look at an X Caddis tied by the folks at Blue Ribbon Fly Shop and the same pattern as an import, I prefer the "look" of the local tie......just looks more "fishy" to me.

As someone who does not tye what I think are very pretty trout flies, I think a "professional tyer" that tyes countless flies without ever using one can produces something that develops a "plastic" perfect look to it and will not be as effective as something produced by someone who sometimes uses what they produce. It may resemble the picture in the book perfectly, but it is a reproduction of a reproduction and loses sometime very small and almost imperceivable in the translation. I do not believe a fly has a soul but one tyed to resemble a photo certainly has less of one than a fly tyed by a fisherman or woman.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Jesse,
    I believe you hit the nail on the head and understand exactly what I'm talking about.
    Thanks! I think that a long-time tier/fisherman who is skilled at tying will always tie a pattern which will be more effective than the imported version of the same pattern. I think that his/her fly will be "better" because the overseas operation producing flies tied, usually, by young ladies who have never seen the insects or the water they inhabit......never read about or observed the insects in their habitat and observed/read about their behavior, etc., etc. will not be as effective as those tied by the fisherman.

I think its like a painting by the master and a copy made by an apprentice. Both may be technically correct but there are certain nuances in the painting that was painted by the master that are not present in the copy. I have noticed the same "effect" in anglers. The angler that has spent times on the water under a variety of conditions and has learned by doing is generally a more rounded and thus a better angler than the angler that learned how to "fish" by watching videos, reading books and taking a class. Just saying.

Blog Entries

Right on Neal,

There are wet flies in bins at shops and then there are wet flies tied by Dave Hughes (and other masters as well)...............

+ Reply to Thread