+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zebra Midge, head dubbing

Default Zebra Midge, head dubbing

Started my winter tying today. For my first fly I decided to try, for the first time, a Zebra Midge. For my first few flies I followed the instructions and used a Super Fine Black dubbing for the head. Then I decided to try some black UV Ice dubbing. I really like the look of the UV; the longer fibers seem to give the fly more life. Tying them in size 18 to 22, (using a scud type hook) but have never tied a 22 before...so this will be interesting.

So, my question is:

a) Follow the instructions and use the Super Fine
    b) Go ahead, fulfill your creative side and use the UV Ice Dubbing
    c) It will not make any difference
    d) Get one of those nice imported Ale's from the garage, sit back and think about it.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Bill*; 11-17-2016 at 05:47 PM.

e) all of the above

I typically just use a silver bead or silver lined clear glass beads on my Zebra midges, with no dubbing at all. Works best for me, but YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    I typically just use a silver bead or silver lined clear glass beads on my Zebra midges, with no dubbing at all. Works best for me, but YMMV.
    What John said.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Start with D), then do A), followed by B). Decide which your prefer, or better yet, take them fishing and see what the fish prefer. Most likely thought, you're going to end up at C).

I've got some scud hooks down to 22. I can't remember if I've tied any Zebra Midges that small.

@whatfly and @ScottP, appreciate the suggestion, need to get some beads and then will try it. I like the idea. Thanks!

@AllenOk, LOL, perfect plan. The book I am following is Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying. He suggests going down to a 24!
    I did get to my 22 sized hooks. Not too bad, but became rather a mess at the end of the tie at the eye. The whip finish was a problem. I only have 8/0 thread, which I suspect is much too thick for that small of hook. Well...it has been a fun day! Tomorrow...RS/2!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill* View Post
    I did get to my 22 sized hooks. Not too bad, but became rather a mess at the end of the tie at the eye. The whip finish was a problem. I only have 8/0 thread, which I suspect is much too thick for that small of hook.
    Bill,

All the Zebras I tie for tailwaters are on 20-22 (Dai Riki 135). You say the 8/0 thread is too thick; what kind is it? I tie mine with Danville 6/0, which is 70 denier, and it works fine; I also find a double half-hitch behind the bead is plenty strong, especially since I give the entire body a coat of Sally.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 11-18-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Scott,

The half hitch is a good suggestion and I am also coating them with Sally's. I started tying using the half hitch but once I learned how to whip finish I forgot about that technique. The book, same as you, also suggests 70 denier. I am using Uni Thread 6/0 and 8/0 (red and black).

Just as the poor golfer,as he slices one into the woods, proclaims it is the clubs to blame...I suspect if I had better skill the thread would not be a problem, as your comments well show.

I can well remember when I first tied an 18. I thought this was impossible. Now, 18 is a breeze and I believe the 22 will be the same after some more practice.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill* View Post
    I am using Uni Thread 6/0 and 8/0 (red and black).
    Bill,

Uni has it's applications but for small Zebras, I like non-bonded threads like Danville. You can spin the bobbin to remove any twist in the thread and it will lay nice and flat making it much easier to control buildup.

Regards,
    Scott

Zebra Midges are normally tied as ScottP has pictured above. If I were going to add anything for the thorax, it would be UV2 dyed Peacock Herl from formerly Spirit River - now Hareline. Like so, the herl gets much smaller in the eye area...

...and it comes in a wide selection of dyed colors...the stuff from Nature's Spirit is junk. For really tiny patterns, I use Lagartun x-fine wire, and either Tiemco 16/0 thread or Semperfli Nano Silk in 18/0.

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 11-18-2016 at 03:10 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

I tie them with "White" bead heads (both glass seed beads and white metal beads), both work
    very well. Fish love them!!
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread