+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas rod question?

Default Cabelas rod question?

Has anyone tried one of these? http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishi...Tz_stype%3DGNU

I'm looking forward to a backpacking/bicycle trip and I'd love to get in some fishing but all of my rods are 2pc, there fore to long. I can keep this with me and not worry about riding the bike out or anything, and I can afford it. What do you think?

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Blog Entries

hNt,

Nope I have not tried it but I would buy one in a heart beat if it kept me from having to fight with a 2 piece rod.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I have 2 of the 2 piece Three Forks, a 5 wt and a 7wt. Love them both. If I was in need of another rod, I would buy a 4 piece in a New York Minute. I say go for it.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I have only three years experience and am at best a mediocre caster, but from my experience with the rods I would say for $40 what is there to lose!

I have the 763-3 and the 865-4. They were my first rods. I still use them and enjoy them. As the product description says they are moderate action rods. As I gained more experience I upgraded to an LSI which is a faster rod. Now that my skill has improved I enjoy the LSI more, but still for a relaxing day of short casting to Bluegills the 3wt is great, but obviously now that I have experience casting the LSI I can tell the difference.

I think if you are just looking for a rod for a fun bicycle or backpacking trip, recognize this is not going to be your best rod, then for $40 I would jump all over it.

Have a great trip!

If your concern is travel, you might also look at Cabela's 6 piece rods, but they are more expensive and currently not on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Stowaway-Fly-Rods/732371.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3 D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dstowaway%26CQ_st%3Db

Bought one of these for 24.99 from the Cabela's in Eugene? Oregon. Kick myself I need the *** for not buying all of them, because 4 days later they remarked them for 45.99. Haven't tried it yet, but it lawn casts nice.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I have a 7.5' 3 wt and a 8.5' 5 wt. I got them as backup rods and don't use them very often, but they are very good rods for the money.

I started both sons, a brother - in- law and another friend on them, bought them the 7'6 for 3 wt. felt to me more like a 4 wt but a nice little casting rod . For the price, hard to beat. Just bought my sons the Fiberglass CRG rods that went on sale for 65.00. Really nice introduction to glass rods for them. Of the graphite, bamboo and glass rods I bought them they are partial to the glass.
    it's all good drifts

Yes, I purchased two T. Fork several years ago, a #6wt and an #8wt.
    Very good rods, I caught some really big trout and dorado (Argentina) with them. A mid-fast action rod, well finished. Do not expect -obviously- the extra help-power that you have with fast or ultra fast rods and to be true, you realize that when you need to cast some heavy flies or when fight a big one. But the quality is very good and the sale price is unbeatable. R.

Was a time when the 7'6" 3 weight was considered by many to be one of the best sleeper deals on the market. Cosmetics are what you think and there was a time when the reel seat had a tendency to fall off, but for the price, neither of these were major concerns. Have thrown the other weights but not as impressed with them as the 3 weight. However, as an inexpensive travel rod, and at that price, cannot see a downside as long as the action is appealing.

$5.00 or $500. try it before buying. People come in to the shop and wiggle a rod. they don't even use the casting pond right out side the shop door.

+ Reply to Thread