+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OF FISH AND MEN - Neil - Oct 3, 2016

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default OF FISH AND MEN - Neil - Oct 3, 2016

OF FISH AND MEN

A recent trend has become quite widespread in the field of biological science; restoration of "native" species. This has become quite prevalent in the fisheries departments of many states and it is rampant in many federal agencies; especially in the lands under the management of the Interior Department. By poison, electrofishing, gill netting, encouraging anglers to kill certain target species and recently by endeavoring to manipulate the fish's chromosomes they are attempting to eliminate in favor of "native" species.

This is quite possibly the first article I have ever read that I agree with passionately from word one, to finish. Also, like yours, my first ancestor landed in Philadelphia in 1734, and settled a farm in Pennsylvania. And my Grandfather that encamped at Valley Forge was a native son.

THANK YOU!

Arrow What's in an "N" or an "n" ???

From the Free Legal Dictionary, and there is much more in the quoted article on the subject of capital "N" Native Americans. Interesting reading, if you are interested in such matters as the law and history.

"Native American Rights

In the United States, persons of Native American descent occupy a unique legal position. On the one hand, they are U.S. citizens and are entitled to the same legal rights and protections under the Constitution that all other U.S. citizens enjoy. On the other hand, they are members of selfgoverning tribes whose existence far predates the arrival of Europeans on American shores. They are the descendants of peoples who had their own inherent rights-rights that required no validation or legitimation from the newcomers who found their way onto their soil."

So I agree with Ralph that he is a native American, but not with Neil who claims to be a Native American. But I'm no judge and I'm not judging either position, and others can study the issue and make their own decision.

As to the article in main, about managing fisheries, Neil's article is well written, informative, and presents a valid view point, and contributes to the ongoing discussion of which fishies are native and which are wild and which are both..

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

I believe I am correct in this: The Henry's Fork of the Snake (especially The Ranch) is an internationally recognized blue ribbon fishery which touts large, wild Rainbow Trout. As I recall, there is a plaque at the head of The Ranch section of the river which tells that the "original" fish was the Cutthroat. I will try to verify my memory on this........perhaps someone else who fishes The Fork can clarify. Anyway, I think it is so interesting that an internationally recognized fly fishing section of this incredible river is known for a non-original specie of trout..............

Just found this from Idaho Fish and Game:

"The Henrys Fork Snake River GMU supports only a small fraction of the YCT it did priorto the 1900s. The YCT population was prolific enough to support numerous commercial fishingoperations in the late 1800s (including Henrys Lake). The exploitation of these fish may havecontributed to their decline; however, it is more likely that concurrent aggressive stockingprograms utilizing rainbow trout and brook trout had more to do with the loss of YCT throughoutthe drainage (Van Kirk and Gamblin 2000). In 1958 and again in 1966, piscicides were used totreat the Henrys Fork above the Island Park Dam to remove nongame fish. In 1958, the riverwas chemically treated upriver to Mesa Falls while in 1966 it was treated to Ashton. The YCTpopulations were largely eliminated by these treatments downstream to Mesa Falls. Followingthe chemical treatments, rainbow trout were restocked in the drainage. In addition to the effectsof exploitation, exotic fish stocking, and chemical treatments, habitat degradation andfragmentation likely played a role in the loss of cutthroat trout populations. "

As I understand it, they are trying to re-populate the upper stretches of the Henry's Fork.................Tributaries to Island Park Reservoir as I understand.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 10-24-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Great article. I winced reading it, expecting the self-righteous purists to jump all over it, but so far, no outrage. That's good, in my opinion.

Here are a couple of points to consider:
    -With all of the emphasis on re-establishing "native" fish populations in Western trout fisheries, can you image if someone proposed removing Smallmouth Bass from Atlantic coast rivers? What about Striped Bass from the California coast?
    -How do we know the Native American "Indians" didn't move fish around from stream to stream? They spread corn, potatoes, and tomatoes all over North and South America. Surely they could have moved Brook Trout from Atlantic slope drainages to Gulf slope drainages, or vice versa, for example.
    -What would New Zealand fishing be like if biologists there had the same attitudes as federal fisheries managers in the U.S.?

I love nature, the wilderness, and the outdoors, but I can't help but think the modern American desire for "pristine" may be a bit misplaced. Here in Virginia, there is a "Wilderness" area where Federal law prohibits bicycles, motorized anything (such as chainsaws for trail maintenance) and roads, yet the area is littered with abandoned mines, mining equipment, railroad tracks, etc. It's no more a wilderness than my backyard. Yes, let's celebrate our wild areas and protect them. But let's also not forget that none of this land is truly pristine. If we realize that, then we can discuss how best to manage the land for its maximum benefit, which in many cases may mean maintaining a longstanding Brown Trout fishery in North America.
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

I think it's right on as far as I'm concerned.

Arrow Go West, young man

Quote Originally Posted by waskeyc View Post
    But let's also not forget that none of this land is truly pristine.
    Just off the top - Death Valley for the most part, The Frank Church River of No Return almost in its entirety, The Selway Bitterroot also almost in its entirety, and The Bob Marshall also almost in its entirety, are truly pristine.

They add up to over 8,000,000 acres or over 12,000 square miles.

You could add most of the Grand Canyon for another 1,000,000 acres or 1800 plus square miles, not to mention many, many more huge tracts of truly pristine land in Washington, Oregon, California ( think about the Sierra Nevada Mountains ), Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, and New Mexico. Oh yeah, you can also find some truly pristine land in Colorado.

Get some good hiking boots, drive a suitable vehicle to the end of the pavement, or better yet, a dirt road, and explore the West.

John

P.S. Maybe someone with experience and information on Alaska will chime in ?? The time I took a flight half way around Denali and back, it seemed to me that most of what I saw would qualify as truly pristine.
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread