This is a valid point. I believe the solution to that is to promote fly fishing among the young people. As I understand, the economic trend in this country is that the young people are not making the same kind of salary as their parents did. Because of this, fly fishing market, as a niche market, will have a lot of difficulties to survive. I am interested in all kinds of fishing methods. Among spinning, baitcasting, and fly fishing rods and reels, spinning rod and reel is the easiest to use. However, fly fishing yields most satisfaction. The challenge for all of us is how to convince the people who use spinning rod and reel to take the steps into fly fishing. Having said this, I have to applaud Ovis's effort in teaching people for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
My late friend Jim Greenlee was a lifelong fly fisher. After he bought Weinbrenner boot company, he began manufacturing the Gary Borger Ultimate wading boot. He provided start up funding for several companies including Korkers, Islander Reels, and Streambrook (a Canadian company that cofounded TFO fly rods). When Sage and Simms were for sale, he had his takeover accountants go over the "books" for both companies. What he found was that the return on investment was pitiful at the price they wanted for the companies.

I have no idea what the ROI is at this time. However, I think the only way small US companies that design and manufacture entirely in the USA can survive is to manufacture for the premium market with higher profit margins.