Thread: Lefty Kreh

Threaded View

Silver,

You have to admit that people like you can afford 1,000 dollar rods, but many people can't. Given your education and profession, you belong to those successful individuals in this society who can enjoy fly fishing in any way you want. But most people, especially the young people, can't. Fortunately, people don't have to buy expensive rods to start fly fishing today. They can buy a rod around 100 dollars that has the quality of a 300 dollars rod in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    Expensive is a relative term and I submit the proposition that for most fly fishers, what a fly fisher considers "expensive" changes as they becomes more accomplished fly fishers. I submit that we (myself included) impose our own value system when we discuss the cost of fly fishing.

I also submit that no one is forced or needs to buy an expensive fly rod or equipment to enjoy or learn fly fishing.

I also submit that Lefty Kreh has limited his comments to new equipment and ignored the availability and cost of used equipment. So Lefty states that new rods are too expensive but what about the availability of used equipment or the steep closeout discounts on rods, reels and lines when new products are introduced. My conclusion is that Lefty; and also, we have tilted the table by totally ignoring what is available if the buyer does some research. It is analogous to stating that housing and automobiles are too expensive because new houses and new cars are costly, and they have to buy the luxury houses and automobiles. What? Does a renter or bus rider really have to buy a luxury new house or a luxury new car? Of course not. Similarly, a person who wants to get into fly fishing can buy used equipment or cheap new rods and reels if they have a very limited budget.
    Last edited by john_in; 09-23-2016 at 03:41 PM.