+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looks Like a Good Beach Snook Season

Default Looks Like a Good Beach Snook Season

So far, so good. Fish numbers are increasing daily. I've seen quite a few big snook, too. Last couple of times out, the fish were very aggressive. Peak season in my neck of the woods is July and August. Crossing my fingers.

Thanks for sharing the report and the photos. I am going to Sanibel on Saturday and hope I get some opportunities like you have shown here.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedshuck View Post
    Thanks for sharing the report and the photos. I am going to Sanibel on Saturday and hope I get some opportunities like you have shown here.

Ted
    Good luck, Ted. Let us know how you do. Stop in at Norm Zieglar's Fly Shop on Sanibel.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFly View Post
    Good luck, Ted. Let us know how you do. Stop in at Norm Zieglar's Fly Shop on Sanibel.
    Can't go to Sanibel without visiting Norm's shop! I will let you know how I do.
    Thanks,
    Ted

Back from Sanibel now and the fishing was tougher than last year. I caught one nice snook on day one and a few small jacks. I had two days tarpon fishing with a guide and got several good shots, but no eats. Then, the wind picked up. It blew about 15 mph out of the SW the second half of the week. Visibility in the first trough was only a few inches. I tried blind casting with flies that would push water and a 250 gr sink tip line, but could not find any takes. Better luck next time!

Ted

Hey, Ted. Didn't know you went down there every year. It didn't come up when you came by here, but we have a place down in Sarasota where we spend winters. I met Steve (Fl. Fly) thru the local FFF club there, and talked to him once on the water up in Palma Sola Bay. (He taught me that day not to give other guides any free tips, b/c they'll just kill what they catch with them.) If you want to spend an enjoyable day ff-ing out of a kayak, contact him at Southern Drawl Kayak Outfitters (that still right, Steve?). From all I've heard and seen, he really knows his business and isn't that far from Sanibel. Steve was the Outdoors Editor in our Sarasota paper for years until they decided to eliminate the dept. (Sound familiar?)
    I'm always gone by May 1, so never get the chance to try beach snook, but it looks like a blast!

Rick
    Last edited by idlerick; 06-26-2016 at 04:16 PM.

And fish like that on a 5 wt TFO BVK? Man, that'd be a heckuva fun battle!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Hi Rick,
    Thanks for the response and information about fishing in the Sarasota area. I don't think I had been to Sanibel when I saw you. We just started going there 3 years ago. I really like it because I can fish on the beach and my wife enjoys the "civilized" aspects as compared with most other fishing spots. When conditions are good, the beach snook fishing is a lot of fun. When the conditions are poor, it is better to just enjoy the civilized aspects.
    Best,
    Ted

+ Reply to Thread