This is some of my favorite fishing. If you close your eyes and fantasize a bit, you can imagine you're fishing along a beach in some remote destination for bonefish. The beach snook season can begin as early as March; it's all dependent on the water temperature. However, the action really doesn't heat up until summer. I think June, July and August are the best times.
I've been doing this for way too long, yet I never get tired of it. It's all sight-fishing and you get a shot at a lot of fish and some pretty large fish. In addition to snook, you'll also see redfish, tarpon, jack crevalle, ladyfish, flounder, mangrove snapper, spotted seatrout, Spanish mackerel, bluefish and others species.
Most of the snook go 20-25 inches. But you'll get a shot at snook up to 40 inches or more. There are far more male snook (small) than females (large). the largest I've taken on fly over the years was a 22-pounder. Best day was 41 snook. Average day during the peak season is 7-8 fish.
Key to success is being able to see the fish. Many of my clients have trouble in this area and have trouble putting the fly in the right spot. Once they figure out what they're looking for, it gets easier.

I like a clear sinktip line, 6-foot leader with 20-pound bite tippet. My favorite fly (only one I use) is my Gibby's D.T. Variation. That fly has withstood the test of time. I tie them on hooks ranging from No. 8 to No. 1. I use large flies later in the season as the bait gets larger.

One of the biggest mistakes most beginners make is to wade. Most of the fish are in a 3-foot zone tight to the dry sane. Long casts are rarely necessary.