+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can you make a jig hook out of a regular one?

Default Can you make a jig hook out of a regular one?

I wanted a bigger jig hook than I had, so bent a nymph hook down, but the eye on the jig hook is perpendicular, is it not? Will that affect the jigging action?

No - I have some tiny (1/100th oz.) jigs I use for crappie with the eye "sideways" and I've seen no differences in the action.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Yes to the making. No, jig hooks come in 30, 45 degree, 60 degree and 90 degree angles which is what you're talking about. What you've created is a flat eye jig hook. Most jig hooks have the eye parallel to the shank. How big a jig hook are you looking for? Most of the ones I've seen in fly shops are on the small size, 10, 12 or 14 with a standard or short shank. If you're looking for something larger you need to look outside of the fly fishing arena. Looking at the Barlow's catalog Eagle Claw, Owner and Mustad make 90 degree jig hooks down to size 8 and Eagle Claw and Owner make 60 degree jig hooks down to size 4. They may make them smaller but the catalog is aimed at conventional tackle bass anglers. I went to a tying class my salt water club was holding and one of the patterns the instructor showed us required a jig hook with a 60 degree angle. All I had were 90 degree jig hooks I was able to bend the hook to a 60 degree angle without a problem. If I were to bend a standard fly hook to create a jig hook I would use a straight eye hook with a 1XL to 2XL shank and a round bend. Bending it shouldn't impact the hook strength, you can even heat it with a lighter a bit to help with the bending without impacting strength. You just don't want to bend it multiple times to get the right angle as you could snap off the eye.
    It's probably less hassle to just drop by your local tackle shop, Dick's, Wal-Mart, Bass Pro or Cabela's and pick up the size you're looking for. Eagle Claw hooks are inexpensive and very sharp.

Ya' want BIG ? These are huge, I was looking at them yesterday at Bob Marriotts...

http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingstore.com/fly-tying-hooks/umpqua/umpqua-u-series-u506-size-4-4-0

P
    T/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Don't forget to get the best jiging action which ever style of eye you use, a non-slip loop knot will give you the best jigging action.

Not to disagree with Jimmy, but the way I learned to tie on a jig was with a Duncan or Uni-knot cincded down tight and pulled back toward the hook point. The resistance of the line at the bend will help the jig hang horizontal.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thanks for the help. The right knot will really make the difference, I bet. I want to tie some big stonefly jigs and size 12 was my biggest jig hook, so glad not to have to go buy another pack of hooks.

Use a non-slip loop knot aka rapala knot on a bead headed pattern, and you have a jigging fly. Might not have the exact same action as a 90 or 60 degree bend, but close enough for nymphing. If you need it to ride hook point up, then just weight accordingly. While bending the hook is a very old trick, I've always been reluctant to do so myself unless I was just experimenting because I've always worried about fatiguing the metal. YMMV.

+ Reply to Thread