+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yellowstone Grizzlies Coming Off Endangered Specie Protection

Blog Entries

Default Yellowstone Grizzlies Coming Off Endangered Specie Protection

Wow.... this way too early to me anyway. Not nearly enough data to support this.

Go spend a spring-summer-fall fly fishing in the general area South East , East and North East of YNP and you'll have a different take I can promise you that. The Grizz are frickin' everywhere. I respect the bears for the magnificant beasts they are and am glad they are recovering, but there is now an over-crowding situation happening in some areas and it needs to be addressed for public safety reasons. Relocating bears from Jackson to the Cody area accomplishes nothing good these days. They are running out of non-private land to relocate these bears when they get into trouble. You are going to start hearing about the high desert plains grizzly population again in the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by HickoryShad View Post
    Wow.... this way too early to me anyway. Not nearly enough data to support this.

I've had two opportunities to look em n the eye once in GTeton and once in YStone and NO, it's NOT too early. MY data is based on my underwear. Hugging trees aside, the public MUST be protected or be allowed ( as is now allowed) to protect themselves . There is a REALITY to deal with here. Tourists will come and despite their stupidity and or ignorance must be protected.

Mark

What does this actually mean? Can't hunt them in the park...
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    What does this actually mean? Can't hunt them in the park...
    Yes, it means that the states can set a hunting season. This has been discussed which they will issue a set of special permits in certain areas for the harvesting of the bears. It has also been discussed that native Americans will have the first chance at harvesting the animals, similar as to their taking of Bison outside the Parks.

One of the great readings I've enjoyed with great interest was about the Lewis & Clark expedition. Of course, part of that was their encounter with the grizz. I can just imagine in that day and time they would have had their hands full with single shot muskets!

Another interesting item I came across (in the gun department) was the air rifle they carried along. Before seeing this, I never knew such an air rifle ever existed - but then I'm about th elast to get the word on anything! Just in case there might be someone besides me who was lacking in the air rifle department, here's an interesting link ~ (hope it copies)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

A Hunting Season seems like a common-sense tool for population control. I've never eaten a Grizzly, but Black Bears aren't that bad, when properly handled and prepared. They make real good BBQ. I would think a Grizzly is probably very similar.

I doubt there is any lack of data. This has been decided by the biologists 2 years ago. The same folks that did the EIS and determined the carrying capacity to be 500 are the same ones opening things back up. Groups protested it 2 years ago using warming as an issue. Which did not do the animals a favor. folks can't have things both ways. If you want science-based management, and you use it to protect a species.....then you can't deny those same facts come time to lift the protection. Bordering regions need to be used to knock the numbers back closer to the already vetted carrying capacity.

I worked as camp host in the Shoshone NF for almost 10 years, living in forest from May till Sept. It is time to lift protection to some degree. There are probably more Grizzly outside of park than inside it. Unlisting doesnt necessarily mean hunting. It will allow bears to be relocated into Historical habitats, i.e. BigHorn NF. WG and F is very limited where can relocate Griz. unlisting will give more latitude in Grizzly management. Cooke City Mt have grizzly in town frequently. Cody Wy has grizzly problems on its outskirts, area where there were not problems until recently.

+ Reply to Thread