+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moose: Life of a Twig Eater

Hybrid View

I once walked right up to a big bull without seeing him.
    At first I tried to slowly back away but when he started to come at me I turned and ran, screaming like a little girl
    Worked for me
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Hiking here

we ran into

Didn't plan on getting this close but, luckily, the moose was much more interested in the vegetation than us. That wasn't the case back in 1990. Ran across bull and a few cows up at Kootenai Lakes; he made it very clear that we were not welcome and we got out as quickly as we could.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Blog Entries

Here in AK more people are seriously hurt by moose every year than bears...

My moose this past fall was a big bull fighting with another. After my bull "donated by default" all of his cows to the second bull I found myself with locked eyeballs on the winner bull at less than 15 yards. I started to get the idea he would not understand what I had done for him and got right into some thick stuff to prevent him from coming after me.

As kids we used to sneak up to feeding moose and see who could slap them and get away... had some dramatic responses and wonder how no one died... 50 years have changed my attitudes quite a bit toward that behavior.
    art

The willows along side the stream in Wyoming are so tall and thick, we've learned to crawl through the "tunnels" the wildlife has made to get to the waters. The other thing we've learned about these tunnels, is that if you get movin' down one that starts to smell like a livery stable that hasn't been cleaned in quite a while ... 9 times out of 10, there'll be a moose bedded down VERY close. Ever so quietly you need to back out, and hope you don't wake the moose.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread