+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eleuthera Bonefish

Default Eleuthera Bonefish

Spent a few days in the Bahamas at Eleuthera in late November. Fishing wasn't great and it didn't help that the wind was 40-50 mph. Still, I was able to catch a few bones on fly. The east side of the island was unfishable because of the wind. Had to fish only the west side.

I found the bonefish were pretty easy -- if you could find them. They weren't plentiful while I was there, but I caught them every time I found them.

Most of my fish came around South Palmetto Bay, just south of Governor's Harbour.

I caught all of my bonefish on Bob Veverka's Mantis Shrimp. However, as great as that fly is, I truly don't think it would have made much difference what fly I used.

Eleuthera was pretty spartan. Gas and food were very expensive. Our accommodations at the Sky Beach Club at Governor's Harbour were excellent.

Rental car -- a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 198,000 miles -- was $100 a day.

As a bonefish destination, I wouldn't recommend Eleuthera. There are too many excellent spots in the Bahamas.

Very nice! Being there has got to be better than being in Iowa during January, right?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread