I live near the Myakka River in southwest Florida. I launch at Snook Haven and paddle my NuCanoe Pursuit downriver about a mile. Over the years, I've caught a lot of monster snook to 28 pounds, but mostly on jigs. This year, I decided to fish it only with fly rod.
First trip was fair. I caught eight snook and three largemouth bass. I used an 8-weight fly rod, floating line and 9-foot fluorocarbon leader. I caught fish on Clouser Deep Minnows and a baitfish imitation.
A buddy and I returned to the river this week and didn't do as well. However, I lost a monster on a Clouser. It was a solid snook that I estimated at 20 pounds.
Although there is a resident population of snook throughout the year, the population swells when we get cold weather and the water temperature drops significantly. Snook from the bays and estuaries will swim up coastal rivers and creeks in search of warmer, deeper water.
We really haven't had severe cold so far, but it looks as if the next week might do the trick.
Even on slow days, you're just one cast away from the snook of a lifetime. Only a small percentage of fly anglers have ever taken a legitimate 20-pound snook or large on fly.
In addition to snook, we often catch largemouth bass, redfish, gar and tarpon on the river.