+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ok rod on the way..be here this week..

Hybrid View

Default Ok rod on the way..be here this week..

I want to be on the water ummm.. this week...Lol
    So rod..check...
    Flies tied like 200 a month or two ago lol check...even killer bugs...
    So only thing holding me back..n i am not waiting around ordering this or waiting if I do...
    I narrowed the search to a 100% florocarbon line..even the brand.. do not care about viability cause the amnesia nail knots will take care of that.. What pound test for a decent start out till I order either the Tusa or the Tbum lines will most effectively work for nymph n wet fly fishing 10lb? 12? 8?.. anyone? I just want to get the best to cover windy conditions,beginning casting,bigger bugs...n the like.. totally plan to order line n the keeper from tusa...but that may take a min..n I ain't got that kinda patience lol
    Oh..the rod is 6:4 if that is a huge factor n12 ft..
    Also.. anyone try a nail knot of a very thin strip of edge bright sheeting coated with liquid fusion?? Seems that would be like the equivalent of fiber optic sights on a bow...?
    Last edited by billknepp; 12-14-2015 at 03:10 AM.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

For fishing nymphs, streamers, and wets I prefer the Oudachi line. I designed this line for this exact purpose. Taper is designed to aid in loading the line, along with getting fly down faster.

Tight lines
    Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by billknepp View Post
    I narrowed the search to a 100% florocarbon line..even the brand.. do not care about viability cause the amnesia nail knots will take care of that.. What pound test for a decent start out till I order either the Tusa or the Tbum lines will most effectively work for nymph n wet fly fishing 10lb? 12? 8?.. anyone?
    I haven't tried regular fluoro, but, since nobody's answering, I'll throw out my 2 cents. I've read that 12 lb fluoro is close to a TUSA 3.5 level line. A 3 - 3.5 is an all around weight for a 12' Tenkara rod. For throwing bushy flies, you might want more. Personally, I use a 2.5 level line, but I go with the lightest line that I can get away with.

Here's a discussion on another forum:
    https://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/vie...php?f=4&t=3565

Jason Klass wrote a good article on level lines:

http://www.tenkaratalk.com/2012/02/u...a-level-lines/
    Last edited by Bruce Norikane; 12-17-2015 at 03:30 PM.

Not all 6:4 rods are alike. Some would do very nicely with 10 lb test fluoro and some would need closer to 16 lb to cast well. Wind and wind resistant flies will want a heavier line. Based on what you've told us I would go with a 14-16 lb test line.
    Tenkara Bum

Well I went with 17 lb. I honestly was not impressed with the rods casting.. not to worry I just..n I mean just seconds ago put in an order for a spool of 3.5 & 4.5 lines.. the real deal for tenkara... I must say after reading a lot on your site.. that tenkara bum 36 rod sounds more of what I should shoot for in the future.. I may be expecting to much of this particular rod...
    Not sure it can really handle nymphs of any size or more than lightly weighed.. but it was a first time trial run n I may have been trying to put to much western influence into the casting.. been watching some utube vids on that subject as well..
    Last edited by billknepp; 12-23-2015 at 05:16 AM.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Let us know how the Tenkara lines compare to the straight fluoro.

Which rod do you have? Your insight may help others looking for rods.

Most Tenkara rods are optimized/designed for casting light lines and light flies. The cast timing is a bit different than western, not as tight and less power.

That said, I've cast all kinds of stuff with my Iwana which is a 360 cm, 6:4 rod. It seems to cast any unweighted fly pretty well with a #2.5 up to a #4.5 level line. With a 13' tapered line, even big bushy dry flies are easy. When I cast a tungsten beadhead, the grace disappears, but it gets the job done.

+ Reply to Thread