+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A question for those using tenkara USA rods

Default A question for those using tenkara USA rods

Anyone try the Cortland level line sold with the tfo tenkara rods with a tenkara USA rod?
    Is this line a waste of time with a tenkara USA rod??
    I want to get a Sato...asap... and wonder if this might be a good line for heavier flies with a tenkara twist to them...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

No I have not. But for heavier flies I have used the running level portion of a 3wt Cortland Sylk line with a flouro tippet with great success.

Bill, I have not tried the Cortland line. I assume you are referring to the Patagonia Tenkara kit. Yvon Chouinard's style of tenkara fishing just doesn't appeal to me. I'm mostly a fluorocarbon level line guy.

However, from time to time I like to experiment with other kinds of lines, just to try them out for myself, find out how I like them from personal experience rather than taking some one else's view as gospel, and expand my skills. So I have made lines from from western type shooting line. And used them with TUSA Ito, Ayu and Iwana rods. I've not tried them with the Rhodo, and I do not own a Sato rod.

While using that type of line is not my cup of tea there are several people who prefer similar lines, and several companies that make similar lines aimed at Tenkara.

Kazuya Shimoda - prefers a 3.9m 7:3 rod with .031 inch dia SL, shooting line. He likes it because it is durable and cast well in the wind.
    http://www.tenkara-fisher.com/conten...Kazuya-Shimoda

The late Keigu Horie, who is called the pioneer of modern tenkara, preferred western fly fishing line.
    http://www.oni-tenkara.com/english/e...oriekeigu.html

I have made lines to the design at the following link - created by Sebata Yuzo in 2006. He recommended this line for people who lack the skill to make their own furled lines. He recommends 30# shooting line for beginners, and the lighter 20# shooting line for people with more casting skill.

btw, 20# shooting lines are generally about .031 inches in diameter, the same size line preferred by Shimoda. The webpage is in Japanese, but basically the yellow line is 4meters in length to which he adds a .5m length of #4 fluorocarbon level line at the tippet end. He used the Deep One, #6 (6号) salt water line to make the loop that attaches to the Lillian at the rod tip end of the line.
    http://www.ukeikai.com/a_others/tenk...nkara_t04.html

I've played around with variations of this basic design, to make different lengths of lines. And even substituted braided saltwater lines for the shooting line. And used Cortland or other brands of shooting line. Such as
    http://www.fliegenfischer-forum.de/geraet/shoot1.jpg

Alternative similar lines would be the Badger lines,
    http://www.badgertenkara.com/store/p...kara_Line.html

Or the various Rigs lines.
    https://fishrigs.com/products-page/h...stems-by-rigs/

I've not used the Badger or Rigs lines. Only my own home made lines made from western fly fishing shooting lines.

Anyway, the point is, a lot of people use versions of the Patagonia Cortland line set up with a variety of rod brands. I see no reason why it wouldn't work fine with the TUSA rods, but maybe the Sato wouldn't work well at longer lengths of line. Those kinds of lines may work better with a stiffer rod. The TFO rod reviews I have read called them a stiff rod, Shimoda uses a 7:3 rod, which is more a tip flex rod, but whether it is a stiff or soft 7:3 rod I do not know. So I can't say how the Sato rod compares to TFO rod. I've never fished with a TFO rod, I saw one at a fishing show, it seemed well made, but to stiff for my taste.

All I can tell you is I have made similar kinds of homemade lines and used them with the older TUSA rods and they worked fine. Just not my preferred way of fishing. But others like that style or setup. The only way to know if it suits you is to give it a try.

Good luck.

D

Thanks for the input guys..

If the Cortland line turns out to be too heavy for the Sato this new ul line might be worth trying.

http://threeriverstenkara.com/?produ...-floating-line

D

I'm a new Tenkara user and have a qustion about lines that may sound silly to those of you who are more experienced. I now have two Tenkara rods and began experimenting with lines recently and made a line from some braided catfish line I purchased at an estate sale and connected it to some Yamatoyo Flourocarbon line and then attached a monofilament tippet and it works beautifully, probably even better than the line that came with the first Tenkara rod I purchased. So why is there all the fuss about what line to use with Tenkara rods? It seems to me that when you're only casting 14-16' line it doesn't make a lot of difference. I can easily make maximum casts with my homemade combination and isn't that all you're looking for? BTW I caught a 15" largemouth yesterday in a farm pond on that line using a streamer. It was my biggest fish on a Tenkara and was pretty scary for a while and worried about breaking the tip, but the rod held up fine. I love this type of fishing for both trout and bass.

Quote Originally Posted by poke flyfisher View Post
    So why is there all the fuss about what line to use with Tenkara rods? It seems to me that when you're only casting 14-16' line it doesn't make a lot of difference. I can easily make maximum casts with my homemade combination and isn't that all you're looking for? ...
    You are right. Doesn't make a huge difference (but some of us are gearheads and love to discuss new stuff.)

Also because different lines fit different tastes and conditions. Some things to consider - casting accuracy, casting into the wind, casting heavier/wind resistant flies, holding line off the water. As you've found, maximum distance is usually not an issue.

Basically heavier lines are easier to cast and handle wind and big flies better. On the down side, heavier lines sag more. Lighter lines are easier to hold off the water and make better presentations. There are numerous other factors, but these are the big trade offs.

I'm a level line guy because I fish pocket water and holding the line off the water is my highest priority. I've fished tapered lines. I love the way they cast, but the sag really bothers me. Now I use very light level line, a #2.5. With this light line, I can fish a longer line and still hold it off the water. A side bonus for me, light lines fall very gently, and this can make a difference when I need to let the line land on the water. This line is not ideal for casting in the wind, but I've learned to deal with it.

Your mileage will vary.

Quote Originally Posted by billknepp View Post
    Anyone try the Cortland level line sold with the tfo tenkara rods with a tenkara USA rod?
    Al Alborn prefers Cortland level line with TUSA Iwana's. Here's a video from his blog that covers his setup:http://troutbumva.blogspot.com/2015/...l?view=classic
    Last edited by Bruce Norikane; 11-11-2015 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Norikane View Post
    You are right. Doesn't make a huge difference (but some of us are gearheads and love to discuss new stuff.) <br>
    <br>
    Also because different lines fit different tastes and conditions. Some things to consider - casting accuracy, casting into the wind, casting heavier/wind resistant flies, holding line off the water. As you've found, maximum distance is usually not an issue.<br>
    <br>
    Basically heavier lines are easier to cast and handle wind and big flies better. On the down side, heavier lines sag more. Lighter lines are easier to hold off the water and make better presentations. There are numerous other factors, but these are the big trade offs.<br>
    <br>
    I'm a level line guy because I fish pocket water and holding the line off the water is my highest priority. I've fished tapered lines. I love the way they cast, but the sag really bothers me. Now I use very light level line, a #2.5. With this light line, I can fish a longer line and still hold it off the water. A side bonus for me, light lines fall very gently, and this can make a difference when I need to let the line land on the water. This line is not ideal for casting in the wind, but I've learned to deal with it. <br>
    <br>
    Your mileage will vary.
    Thanks!&nbsp;&nbsp; That's all very helpful and makes sense.&nbsp; Like I said, I'm still learning how to get the maximum benefit from my Tenkara and appreciate all detailed responses.

NjTroutbum.. ya got me thinking n I may well just try the running section of an old orvis one wt I have n have not had use for since that rod snapped at the ferrel some yrs back n they refunded instead of replaced..
    Last edited by billknepp; 12-12-2015 at 07:23 AM.

+ Reply to Thread