+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tenkara Experience with Bluegill

Hybrid View

Default Tenkara Experience with Bluegill

I've posted this on other forums, but thought I would share this with all of you.

I've been using a Tenkara Rod to catch Bluegill this past year, and have had great success. The average length of the Bluegill in a local pond are about 6-7 inches (10 inch Bluegill are not uncommon). Here is what I've used:

Tenkara Rods
    1. Tenkara USA Iwana Rod 12 ft.
    2. $10 Tenkara Rod 9 ? ft.

Level Line
    1. 12 ft. Cobra Flat Monofilament (20 lbs. / Red)
    2. 7 ft. Cobra Flat Monofilament (20 lbs. / Red)

Set Up (see picture below)
    a. Attached a Braided Loop for easier attachment of level line to the Lillian.
    - Take 7 inch piece of 30 lbs. Dacron Backing and tie a double Surgeon?s Loop Knot ? This makes a ~3 in. loop.
    - Tie another single Surgeons loop on the opposite end of the knot ? makes smaller loop.
    - Clinch Knot (3 turn Clinch Knot) the Flat Mono to the smaller loop.
    - Attach the Braided loop onto the Lillian like a Braided Leader.
    b. Placed tippet ring on the end of the level line.
    c. Attach 2-3 ft of 5X tippet off the tippet ring.
    d. Tie the fly onto the 5X tippet. I used an #16 Itsabug
    (http://mjohnsonfamily.com/FlyFish/image ... Bug.pdf).
    Yes, my Itsabug is a lot smaller than what the instructions show. However, I?ve found that
    pressured big Bluegill are not as afraid to hit a smaller fly (same as trout).

Lessons Learned

1. Using the Flat Mono level line worked a little better in lakes and ponds. The Mono floated longer allowing the Bluegill time to inspect the fly. The fluorocarbon line would sink and get caught in the vegetation (i.e. Lilly Pads).

2. The Tenkara rod allowed me to reach over Lilly Pads and other obstructions.

3. Tenkara spooked fewer Bluegill, especially if I used a Bow-And-Arrow cast due to trees and bushes. The shorter Tenkara rod worked better for fighting fish when overhead tree clearance was tight. A few times, the longer Tenkara Rod would get tangled in the trees when fighting a fish.

4. The Bow-And-Arrow cast created just the right PLOP on the water with the fly.

5. A few times the hook set was not fully seated and the fly would pop out of the fish?s mouth. I found out that striking sideways prevented me from tangling my fly in the trees above. I would still get tangled in something, but I was a least able to reach it. When I would strike straight up and get tangled in the trees, I would have to get my 6 foot 3 inch son help me, since I couldn?t even reach the Lillian.

Overall, I really like using a Tenkara Rod to catch Bluegill. Bass are a blast also.

Thanks

Vinny

Tenkara_WarmWater_Setup.jpgPicture1.jpgPicture2.jpgPicture3.jpg

Great post, thanks for sharing!
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

That looks like a lot of fun!
    Isaiah 41:10

They are very effective in a lot of places. My son enjoys his more than the standard rig. Great for ponds and such where cruising the edges is 90% of your fishing either way.

Ralph

Thank you Vinny

+ Reply to Thread