+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THE RIDE - Whipfinish - Jul 6, 2015

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default THE RIDE - Whipfinish - Jul 6, 2015

THE RIDE

The run looked good at the end of the big sweeper that had fallen with its top downstream. It was one of this last winter's victims, evident by the still green branches. As often happens in a situation like this, the fish will hold tight to the trunk of the tree, and the best water which is nearly impossible to fish is among the branches. I had worked my way downstream throwing a size 10 Little Pine streamer with some success already this morning, and I gave the fly a once-over along with my tippet; not wanting to take any chances on a run that looked so perfect with a tippet knot or scar. With my first cast I was a bit too far from the trunk of the tree for my taste, but not wanting to disturb the water I finished my drift and lifted my line out after my swing had cleared the branches

Love the article. Was right there with you throughout. Once I had a "this is my stream and I am too big and too smart and too wild for someone like you to catch me" Brown on one time. I set the hook and he literally rocketed upstream and was gone in a split second as my line went totally slack and he was gone. Feeling disgusted, I retrieved my line back and to my surprise he was still on. I had no idea. He had made that run then just stopped. So there I was now with a big fistful of line frantically trying to get some leverage back. As soon as he felt that contact again, he DELIBERATELY raced around a rock and broke me off. Lesson learned.

+ Reply to Thread