+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Durability of Tenkara Rods

Default Durability of Tenkara Rods

Because tenkara fishing is fairly new in the United States, one topic that is not often addressed is the durability of tenkara-style rods. Like most tenkara enthusiasts, I own several rods of various weights and price points. Also, some of my rods have a glossy finish, while others have a matte finish. Some have cork handles, other rods use different materials. How do these factors affect durability under normal use? What is your experience? (Of course, one person's "normal use" is another person's "abuse".) For example, when I'm kayak fishing, I usually reach for one of my heavier, less-expensive rods, which is not as much fun to cast but which seems a little better suited for the normal knocks and slaps of boat fishing. Also, there has to be balance here: A rod that is extremely light and beautiful may or may not be as durable as another rod. Also, accidents happen. If you step on a tip, almost no rod will stand up to that accident. Another type of "accident" is when a stream that normally yields only 6-inch bluegills suddenly produces a three-pound largemouth that engulfs your fly! Again, I was wondering about the experience of others. I'm wondering if certain brands are noted for their durability and if others fall short in that category?

Based on not yet enough experience, I can offer a little advise that has served me well. A 3# jumping, head shaking, and diving LM bass to hand is my personal best to date; we won't discuss the learning curve in public.

Your 5-7X tippet is your 'safety' in the conquest of larger fish. Let the full length of the supple Tenkara rod tire the fish.

Finesse is the watch word.......enjoy
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

Quote Originally Posted by gordo7 View Post
    Based on not yet enough experience, I can offer a little advise that has served me well. A 3# jumping, head shaking, and diving LM bass to hand is my personal best to date; we won't discuss the learning curve in public.

Your 5-7X tippet is your 'safety' in the conquest of larger fish. Let the full length of the supple Tenkara rod tire the fish.

Finesse is the watch word.......enjoy
    Yes, I caught a 3.5 pound catfish that definitely required some patience. I was wondering also about the trade-off between superlight tenkara rods (I have one that's just over an ounce) and the rods that are 3-4 ounces. It seems logical that over time the super light rods would naturally wear quicker, but I don't know that from experience.

In dealing with more than a few broken rods, I find that "durability" is pretty closely proportional to the amount of care the rods are given. I you never take a once ounce rod in a kayak, it is less likely to get broken than your "knock around" rod that anyone would expect to be more durable. Very, very few rods are broken by fish, but rather by inattention when putting on or taking off the line, trying to whip the rod to free a snag or setting the hook like a pro bass angler ("cross his eyes!") when it turns out to be a snag rather than a fish.
    Tenkara Bum

[QUOTE=CM_Stewart;512606]Very, very few rods are broken by fish, but rather by inattention when putting on or taking off the line, QUOTE]

Yep, as careful as I've been, I broke the tip off the end of my rod trying to take the line off the lillian. I thought I had the tip completely inside the rod, but in my haste, forgot to check and snap!

Last year fishing the Big Thompson in CO, I caught some pretty hefty Rainbows and never once was I concerned about my rod breaking. But regardless if I am using it in a trout stream or a Bluegill pond, I never use more than 5x tippet.

Just my 2 cents.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

So far...mine has held up very well. And thats with some abuse by a 12yr old. I do caution him not to use the rod to free the fly from the bottom or branches and brush. Take a breath, and grab the line wherever possible.

It reminds me of when "noodle" rods became the hot item among steelheaders. Everybody began building spinning rigs on long fly rods. And when they started breaking them complained that fly rods were just too weak for steelhead. Oddly enough fly fishermen were not breaking rods on steelhead? It's about habits and the requirements of the gear most times.

However, Tenkara adds a new twist. The telescoping nature of the rod does add another weak link, that you need to remain conscious of IMO. They are structurally strong when a given section is flexed end-to-end. But when flex is applied to the tip directly to a point in between the 2 ends......it does not retain that strength.

It is however a great rod regardless. But like any piece of gear, it has its limitations.

+ Reply to Thread