+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time using furled leader question

Default First time using furled leader question

Yesterday was my first experience using a furled leader. I was using it on a bass bug line. Overall it worked well for me. It seems to lay out the fly better than store bought tapered leaders. Late in the afternoon I noticed the furled leader was getting twisted up signicantly and knotted. Most likely due to my casting as regular leaders often get snarled into a bird's nest. Is a swivel recommended on the tippet ring at the end of the leader? Other suggestions are welcome.

No, swivel is needed and most likely would be a detriment. If it's twisting up then just from time to time pull it through your fingers. I have been using furled leaders for about six years and about the only time I have a problem is when I get a snag and pull it loose. I also find that nylon vs thread twists more. JMO

From what you describe, it sounds like your fly is spinning during the cast and twisting the leader. I make leaders with a swivel attached, but usually they are sinking leaders designed for nymphs or swinging streamers. I say if you have a small swivel, give it a go...what have you got to loose?

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Thank you both for your response. 1 for yes and 1 for no. I didn't realize it was that clear cut. LOL.

The leader should not twist bass fishing unless your tippet is too small for the fly or the fly is not aerodynamic and is spinning during casting. Occasionally if I am nymphing on a stream and I am doing roll cast mend drift , roll cast mend drift after while i will notice a few twists in my leader which are easy to take out by pulling it through my fingers.
    What ever is causing the twists is not a direct result of using a furled leader

I would put a swivel on. It sounds like the fly is spinning. The weight is minimal, any bass leader should handle it.

I agree put on a swivel. I however would also look at taper and material. Tapers change based on type of flies and technique. Also for heavier and more wind resistant flies I prefer a stiffer leader, and shorter as well. Can you tell us what length, taper, and materials you are using?

Tight lines
    Brandon

Are you using a leader butt?

Sorry, but I don't know the specs on the furled leader, as I bought it on e-Bay.

Yes, I have a butt section between the fly line and furled leader. Thanks for the tips. I'll try a swivel and see how it works. Need to get back out hopefully soon.

+ Reply to Thread