+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New rod coming

Default New rod coming

OK....I finally took the plunge. I ordered a 12' 40T SK Tenkara rod for my 11yr old. However, I will need to line it. I intend it to be fished with small nymphs and an indicator most often. But with driesnas well. I've read a bunch of rigging options, and am leaning towards a furled leader setup?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Ralph

I have never fished with that rod so I can't give you an informed suggestion other than to say that a furled leader will be easier for you and your 11yr old to cast. I would suggest trying a level line at some point, though. The level line will be lighter and easier to hold off the water's surface, which will give you better presentations and more fish.
    Tenkara Bum

I've been looking at the "Cutthroat" leaders. May give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    .... I ordered a 12' 40T SK Tenkara rod for my 11yr old.
    Ralph
    I don't have any rigging suggestions. But I thought you might find this video interesting. The video is from Japan. The title translates something like That First Parent-Child Tenkara Experience.

It looks like the typical fishing pay pond scene with my son when he was little. Only when he was the age of the children in the video I had not yet heard of Tenkara. Oh, and we didn't have Dr. Ishigaki on hand to help out with the instruction. At least I think Dr Ishigaki is the guy dressed in white. I am partly identifying him from his laugh and his voice.

Anyway, it might give you some insight to the challenges you might encounter teaching an 11 year old. Unless you've already faced that experience.

One big difference I noticed in the video is they start the kids out with long lines. Lines longer than the rod. Which I found kind of surprising. Here most adults start out with a line about the same length of the rod or just a little shorter or only a little longer. I guess just a different attitude about how to teach tenkara.

親子テンカラ体験その壱 - time = 9:27
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGi-F64vWPI

enjoy,
    David

It is neat to see how other folks begin.

My son has been fishing for some time now, and has caught both trout and warm water fish on the fly rod. But for streams its a struggle with line management and current. I think this would be just the ticket to get him on fish with less to complicate things.

I was looking at an 11' leader +tippet?

I've fished nymphs with my Tenkara rod, but do not use indicators. With Tenkara I can feel the take much easier than with my Western fly rod. I also use an orange level line that I purchased from Chris Stewart. The line in itself acts as an indicator. If you feel you need to use an indicator I would use a foam stick on Pulsa. I would think anything heavier would hinder your casting. As far as furled tenkara lines go, you may want to look at Moon Lit Fly Fishing. Just make sure you get a bright color as they are easier to see.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread