+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New boo, actually FIRST boo!

Default New boo, actually FIRST boo!

Just scored an old 8.5 ft. Montague on Ebay for 60 bucks. It will be the first time I've ever even touched a bamboo rod, much less cast one (not counting the time the fancy fly shop owner ran me and Ralph out of his shop for fondling the expensive rods too much...).

The seller didn't provide any info on what weight of fly line to use with it. It'll arrive early next week. How do I figure out the right weight? I was thinkin' just string it up with my usual 5 wt DT and start casting to see if that's a reasonable size, then adjust up or down accordingly. I think i can dig up some 7 wt, and i have 3 wt line around also.

Any help appreciated!

DANBOB

lol,, really,, probably is a 6,,, but try 'em all! Congrats!

JC's right, probably a 6wt, but if you don't have a 6wt line, try your 5wt first. If that seems to load too slow, then go with a 6wt. And just be aware, you're new rod will probably have a slower action than you're used to, so take that into account when you go to cast it. Personally, I like the slower action-gives me time to figure out where my fly's going before it gets there. Also forces me to slow down and relax (something I can sometimes forget to do when I hit a really nice hatch and start to catch a bunch of fish).

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

Danbob-boo,
    Congrats! I'm very excited for ya but understand this will not be your last boo purchase. It sounds like the condition of the rod is in good order. Which model is it? (Usually written under the Montague name in the oval logo.)
    Try the 5# first, but the 6# as JC recommends will probably be dead on. Photojoe4 is also correct in his recommendation to slow everything down! It is afterall a pass-time activitiy.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Danbob;
    Welcome to the world of 'boo! You may want to pop a brew on the backcast and drink it on the forecast!
    Once you figure out what weight it is try a cortland Sylk line with a furled leader. You'll love 'em both!!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

Looks like I got a Montague Fishkill. It's in nice shape other than tarnish on all the guides. Should I use normal metal polish to shine them up again?
    DAN

Danbob;
    Now that you've had the boo for a few days what do you think?
    I missed the post about cleaning the guide's. Try tooth paste and an old tooth brush.

Default 1st boo

Danbob, Welcome to the dark side. I started out with one as curiousty, now have three. I echo the others about slowing down, also if it feels heavy in hand try going to larger reel to balance it out. Soon youll be like the rest of us. Basket case? I think not just refinish it

Default New Boo

Yup --this is how it starts, just one bamboo, and then you find another---
    Guides -- I like to polish them up with wet/dry sandpaper from the autobody/paint corner at the locak parts shop. If they just have a bit of surface rust 1200 grit will be just fine. If they are really nasty you might need to go down as far as 600 grit and work your way up to 1200. THEN the trick is to keep them nice. Get some cold bluing solution at the local gunshop. I use Oxpho-Blue from Brownells but any cold gun bluing will work just fine and won' t hurt the cane if the varnish is intact. The steel in most of the old guides takes a bluing nicely. Then wax your rod, I like Butchers, but any good quality furniture paste wax (NOT polish) will be fine. After you fish your rod wipe it down with an old towel and when you get it home either store it out of the tube, to dry, for a few days or store it with the tube open, depending on how wet it might have gotten etc. You will want to have a tube for it. Not transporting in a tube is a shure way to transform a 3 piece rod into a 4 piece rod.
    AgMD

nighthawk Guest

Danbob,
    I just took my 9ft Monty Western Special out today. I'll second the advice on the Cortland 444 Sylk line. I am using a DT-6-F and was able to throw 60 ft casts accurately with ease. I may got to a seven or eight weight as I noted that I actually had to speed up my casting stroke. What a joy to rediscover real roll casting! You are going to love your new addiction.

+ Reply to Thread