+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling Flies

Default Selling Flies

I know this subject has come up multiple times before, but what is the best source or outlet for selling flies? I tie warm water flies - mostly foam stuff, hoppers, spiders, etc, and some bluegill sinking flies. Simple stuff. Occasionally will tie some bass flies but nothing big and complicated. Just curious if Ebay or sites like this are a good outlet for selling a few to offset some material costs. Not trying to make a living, just love to tie flies and cant use all the flies I can tie. Thanks.

No on Ebay unless you can compete with $4 per dozen from kenyan flies. The key is quality. If you tie quality stuff, the buyers will come. You have to give your customers a reason to buy your stuff.

Blog Entries

I doubt that folks will beat down the door to buy your flies no matter how good a job you do.....

They have to know about your flies first.

But, trust me, it's pretty hard to compete with the big fly suppliers.

If you have a small, local newspaper, you might put an add there to let folks know you're out there.

If there is a sporting goods store near you, ask if you can sell some there on a consignment basis to get established and known as a good source of local patterns.

See if your local paper might do a "local interest" story on a local fly tier. Papers are always looking for human interest stories. It could get your name out there for folks who might seek you out.

Put your flies up on the most regional Craig's List.

You could develop a simple web site to promote and sell your flies. But, the Internet is full of such sites!!!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 10-15-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Don't forget to get your federal tax id number and any state and local tax numbers and permits. When you start making and selling fishing tackle you are a manufacturer in the eyes of the IRS and must file Form 720 and pay the 10% federal excise tax each quarter.

Jerry

Blog Entries

The taxes, of course apply. The good thing about the federal excise tax is that the proceeds are returned to the state for conservation efforts.
    The bad thing is that, like anything else, certain exemptions/caps have been instituted. So, on tying flies, you pay the tax on the full amount (on retail price, I believe), while fly rod manufacturers pay based on a cap of $10 tax/rod..........

Donate them to Project Healing Waters or Reel Women or something.

Take a tax write-off.

I would check to see if the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries would be interested in stocking a few flies at their lakes around the area. Most MS fly fisherman are not going to be familiar with foam hoppers and some of the patterns you will probably tie and I predict you will stay busy replacing stock if you can find outlet. If the state doesn't want to do that driver out to the marina at Ross Barnett and talk with the owners there and stores near the Game and Fish lakes. I have been gone a long time now, but G&F used to operate lakes and parks all of the state separate from the State Parks. If you don't know, the G&F lakes did not allow alcohol back when I lived there. Foam hoppers and spun deer hair will be real novelties to many fishermen and will probably go fast, good luck. I am also sending you a PM with a couple of ideas.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 10-16-2014 at 12:58 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

You can always put some on this site in the for sale area. I've seen a lot put there over the years. A lot of people that tie their own flies will buy others from time to time.

Don't you have to sell over $200 before you have to file this 720 form?

Quote Originally Posted by dave potts View Post
    You can always put some on this site in the for sale area.
    I would think that would be a commercial endeavor. Better check with the admins first.

+ Reply to Thread