+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loop knot

Hybrid View

Question Loop knot

When fishing streamers it is suggested that we use loop knots to provide more action. And several novel knots are proposed. My question is , "What is wrong with the old Bowline knot that we all learned as Boy Scouts?"

The non-slip mono loop (http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knot...lip-loop-knot/) is really just a variation on the bowline with a few extra turns to make sure it doesn't slip.
    Bob

thanks redietz. I've never had a bowline slip so I guess I'll just stick with it.

I remember the Bowline from my sailing days. It's a great knot because it never slips, but it also never tightens, so you could always untie it when you were finished. I never thought of using it on mono before, but the couple I just tied in 6x seem secure. I'm not sure I'd trust it in larger tippet sizes........have to try it with some 8# flouro and see what happens.

Cliff

There are variations of that loop knot and I've come up with my own version. To me simple is best, especially when tying on another streamer mid-stream. What I do is make the simple over-hand loop, run the tag end through the hook eye, then wrap the tag end around the line above the simple loop once, and then through the simple loop making sure you run it in the correct direction (don't want to undo the simple loop!), pinch together where you want the knot to be and snug it closed. I've caught some pretty big fish with this method and it's never failed.

A bowline knot is about 60% to 66% knot strength. There are a number of loop knots that are stronger, including the non slip loop. The non slip loop is more than just a bowline with extra turns. In the bowline you just form a loop to start the knot, in the non slip loop, you start with an overhand knot.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    The non-slip mono loop (http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knot...lip-loop-knot/) is really just a variation on the bowline with a few extra turns to make sure it doesn't slip.
    About a good as you can get right here, in a non-slip, STRONG knot!

Next would be the Uni Knot - great knot -but it's not a loop-type per the O.P.'s request.

+ Reply to Thread