Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill Budd View Post
I spent the day with a fishing buddy on Casey Creek, THE trout stream in West Kentucky. It is the only regularly stocked stream close to West Kentucky. The parking lot was empty when we arrived, owing I am sure, to the fact that we were into October when the regulations change and it becomes a catch-and-release resource. A quick peek showed reasonable flow and gin-clear water, something seldom seen around here with the preponderance of clay we have in the area. After lining the rods and donning waders, we slowly worked our way down stream. It did not take long to spot the trout ? lots of trout ? but (you knew that was coming, didn?t you?) they were interested in NOTHING. They were merely holding in the current and not feeding that we could see. The reason may be that the creek was FULL of minnows. From fingernail size to big enough for one to impale himself on the business end of the #16 Elk Hair Caddis I had offered (the only fish of the day by the way). But the day was perfect in my estimation. I often say I go out for the fishing, not the fish. If I wanted fish, I would have gone to Kroger. I only hung my fly in the trees once or twice using my 6? 4 wt. Cortland GRF 1000 that I have had so long I do not remember when I got it. The outing ended superbly as Mike my fishing partner; the consummate chef had prepared and brought a lunch of some of the best cold cuts and freshest rye bread I have experienced in a long while. Planted in folding chairs using the tailgate of the pickup as a table and an appropriate beverage made the outing even better.

The point of this narrative is that to me it is ALL about the fishing and not at all about the fish. I feel a bit sad for some of my fishing acquaintances who consider the day wasted if they cannot number the fish boated in the double digits. A bit of advice if I might: Plan a trip to a water where the possibility of taking a fish is unlikely, and concentrate on the fishing rather than the fish and I am absolutely positive you will enjoy yourself an perhaps learn something about fishing you may not have known.

I totally agree. My priority is to catch at least one fish, and after that, it's all gravy. I just love listening to the water, birds, and whatever else I see along the way.