+ Reply to Thread

Thread: removing a reel seat

Hybrid View

Default removing a reel seat

I have a Thomas and Thomas rod that was broken. It would cost too much to have the factory to repair. It's been sitting around for awhile and I was wondering if there was any way to remove the reel seat to possibly be re-used? Just curious, still can't bring myself to throw it away.

Thanks

I have done this with all metal reel seats by placing the reel seat in boiling water for a few minutes to soften the epoxy that is holding it on. I still had to pull pretty hard and twist to get it to come off. If the reel seat has a wooden insert that you don't want to damage, I would put it in a plastic bag or aluminum foil before boiling it. The heat may still damage the finish on the wood.

If you are trashing the butt section of the rod, you can also saw the butt section off an inch or so above the reel seat and drill it out.

Ted

I second Ted. I did this on an old fibergleatass South Bend that I am learning how to wrap guides on. This was a plastic reel seat. I put the seat in the plastic bag, sat it in the boiling water for about 10 minutes. Took it out, twisted a little, put it back in for another 10. Took it out, took the bag off. After about 5 minutes, one good, along the line of the rod, pull - off it came.
    Mike

The rod was broken just above the reel seat, in the middle of the grip. I was able to remove the cork, cut the butt back to the top of the reel seat and drill it out using progressively bigger bits. Worked great!! Save me $$ on my next build and keep a part of a great rod with alot of miles on it.

Thank for the advice

Good to know that it worked out for you. Thanks for letting us know. Please post some pictures of your next build with this legacy reel seat.

Ted

Glad I came across this post ...

Have an old True Temper fiberglass fly rod, think it dates back to the early 50's, and the cork handle has managed to crack and needs to be replaced. The down locking reel seat is metal (aluminum no doubt), but think I will use the plastic bag for the hot water just the same. Wondering how far to submerge the cork handle ~ any thoughts there(?)

Thanks for the posts.

+ Reply to Thread